Smoothest and best sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600??

As the title of the thread reads, I am looking for recommendation for the best and smoothest sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600.  I am replacing a restored and recently upgraded Thorens TD-145 turntable with a Audio Technica brand new 440MLb cartridge. I am finding that floating suspension turntables require more isolation against floor vibration.  Other than that, the table is very good. 

I also would prefer a more contemporary design.

Note: I will probably put the the Thorens on sale after reading the comments and recommendations to this thread.  Thank you for your feedback  

sunnyjim
Linn and WTL are good suggestions. I will also throw Funk Firm LSD in the mix.

Thanks again to those who responded. 

To Paraneer:  I am sure tables prepacked with cartridges represent an expert matching to tonearm. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of Ortofon 2MRed which came with my previous Project DC Carbon TT. It was good, quiet, but the highs were a bit restricted. I was told the 2MBlue was better and would work with the 2M Red body. but I decided not to go there. 

Here is an a curious point, why does VPI package the Ortofon 2MRed with Scout Jr  TT, and also their discontinued  Traveler V.2 TT.  Both VPT table have to, or should outperform the Project DC Carbon TT. So, Paraneer, I am NOT sure the matching of cartridge to tonearm''s RESONANT FREQUENCY  is the only consideration. I think keeping the cost of the package down. If I had bought either of the VPI tables mentioned, I would replaced the Ortofon  2M Red.      

SonnyJ....when you speak of nuances, ...that means money.   If you like the Ortofon Red, you'll REALLY like the Ortofon Black...more nuances.  If you're getting rid of the Thorens because of footfalls, etc.   put it on a very light shelf...or even make your own table/shelf...4 dowels and a light piece of thin wood or even masonite.
Here is an a curious point, why does VPI package the Ortofon 2MRed with Scout Jr TT, and also their discontinued Traveler V.2 TT.

Good question about the Scout Jr. and the 2m Red. I have no idea why this entry level cartridge is matched to this TT. My local VPI dealer said he would give a $100 credit if one wanted a Scout Jr,. without the 2M Red. Also, I am not aware of VPI packaging their Traveler V2 with a 2M Red. I have seen them with Grados.  I bought mine brand new sans cartridge and mounted an Ortofon Rondo Blue on it. Incredible combination.

Finally, when I suggested Ortofon, I said their "better" cartridges. And when I spoke about compliance and resonant frequency, I was referring to all TT/Cartridge packages such as the Clearaudio Concept, upper level Pro-ject packages mated with the fine Sumiko cartridges, and Rega combinations. Just not those with the 2M Red that I agree, is entry level. All pay attention to compliance ratings for proper tonearm/cartridge pairing. Good luck in your search.

Here is the question with zillion right answers. My own experience:when  I switched from Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood to Lyra MC cartridge (the only reason for the switch was that my Sondek got 10k upgrade) I was not hearing what I paid for. Now that Virtuoso Wood got an upgrade you can probably get the original off eBay for next to nothing...  Smooth, detailed, no MC loading headaches, at least on Naim ARO/Sondek it sounds Heavenly! Just my 5 cents to an unanswerable question...