Smoothest and best sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600??

As the title of the thread reads, I am looking for recommendation for the best and smoothest sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600.  I am replacing a restored and recently upgraded Thorens TD-145 turntable with a Audio Technica brand new 440MLb cartridge. I am finding that floating suspension turntables require more isolation against floor vibration.  Other than that, the table is very good. 

I also would prefer a more contemporary design.

Note: I will probably put the the Thorens on sale after reading the comments and recommendations to this thread.  Thank you for your feedback  

sunnyjim
To Ray, Thank you for the reply and information. I have a strong suspicion the TP 60 tonearm is a liability in finding the best match  of cartridges. Plus, the headshell presents serious adjustment problems for azimuth and overhang.   therefore, to say it another way, the tonearm is not good and possibly a turkey. The Denon 301 MkII is (I think) a low output cartridge. The Denon 110 is bit higher output, but my Rogue Sphinx v1 needs at least a 3-4 mV  to accommodate the Denon.   But, I will check it out. 
What is "smooth sounding"? What would be another adjective for another sound, but also desirable?  I have a Lyra Delos, is it smooth?  Please bear with me, just trying to better understand the lingo!
The VPI Traveler has been on sale recently for $999 as it has been replaced by another model. I would add a Grado Sonata 2 for $600. It's a fantastic combo.

To marktomaras:  "Smooth sounding" may be too nonspecific a term. I was trying to say less high end congestion where the sound get bunched up, (that is not separated to hear nuances), or tinselly crashing highs, or a general  lack coherence across the board resulting in a sour sound quality..  I would not mount a Lyre Delos  on my Thorens 145 ( You must have a fairly expensive table to use that cartridge).

I am no expert at tonearm/cartridges interfacing, but at this time the Thorens TP60 tonearm on the 145 table does not sound right, and exhibits many of the negatives I briefly listed above. I did read somewhere that the AT440Mlb  cartridge can take a while to break in and sound smoother on the top end.

To Smrex13.... I saw the add for the VPI Traveler, but I want to sell the Thorens first. Catching good sale is not a top priority at this point.

Member, Raymonda suggested trying one of the Denons he listed. And of course, there is the option of replacing the tonearm with something much better.  However, in both cases I am reluctant to dump any more money into this project at this point.  Thanks to all.