Pls share your experience with Zu Soul or Zu in general

I've ordered a set of Zu audio's Soul speakers. I am thoroughly excited although I don't expect to see them until June.

In fact I've gone gung-ho on the Zu philosophy,  buying on e-bay old stock Zu interconnects, mains, and speaker wire with their proprietary ZuB3 connector.

I'd really like to hear - good or bad - other people's impressions about Zu Soul and Zu in general.

128x128jimspov
Have you done a search on the virtual systems?  If not, there are quite a few Zu systems posted there.  Could satiate your desires in the short-term...
I have both Def 4s and Omen 1Bs. Both were a little intense out of the boxes. All tube system. 
They could be said to be a little tizz-boom initially. Here is my take.
They're clear, no smoothing of the edges speakers. Crossoverless, phase coherent and immediate. It's necessary to get the signal chain just right, and I have, at least to my liking. 

Taking crossovers and their inherent distortions, TIM distortion in particular, along with phase anomalies induced by attempting to balance multiple drivers really affects the ability of a speaker to sound coherent, at least for my ears. As crossovers heat up, the frequency response of a speaker changes, the hotter they get the more compression one hears. 

With Zu, one can roll tubes and cables and get a warm sound, if that's to your liking. I once put some "warm" cables in the chain and over did it. So yeah, they can sound too warm as well.  I like to think I've gotten it just right. 

As for Sean Casey and his guys, every time I've approached them with even the most obscure question they have followed up with the most practical, informative advice imaginable. It's like they're about to come over to see about it, and we are 2000 miles apart. Unbelievable!

Thanks Dentdog. I too have a tube amp, as it turns out.

I live in Canada and I have found a 2nd hand set of Zu Omen Def and Zu Essence for sale. Unfortunately neither are being sold by their original owners. Each set is about 5 years old. They're selling for CDN$1700 (US$1300) and CDN$1500 (US$1155). 

Buying new, the Canadian dollar being what it is adds 30% to the price and shipping is extremely costly from the States to Canada. (If I go the New Zu route I'll have to drive to Niagara Falls and pick them up there).

I've just learned about the Vandersteen's. I can get a demo set of the 1ci's at $1700 ($1309), which isn't a great price. I'm going to listen to them this weekend.

I'm using their interconnects and speaker cables... I like them very much and well worth the money.. Every time I upgrade my components the cables and interconnects lets me hear the difference, like more detail.. I get the feeling they're not hiding anything... Using Libtec speaker cables and just purchased Mission MK2 balanced interconnects (replacing Mission single ended)...
I have second hand Zu Soul MKII's in my set-up. I've been using them for about 3 years. I really enjoy them but they can be challenging to tame. Room placement (how far to set from wall, toe-in, etc.) plays a role. 

I visited Zu in Ogden when I was in Utah for work. I spent about 2 hours on a Friday afternoon with Gerrit, Harvey and James. Gerrit walked me through their operation and we had a really good conversation all the while James assembled a Clarity Cap/Juniper Bypass for me on the spot. My speakers did not have this upgrade previously and it smoothes out the tweeters. 

This upgrade is still breaking in but I definitely like what I hear so far.

I have Event MKI mains attached to my Pass Labs XP15 Phono Pre and my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. I use Zu Mission MKI phono cables to connect my VPI Scout 1.1 and Mission MKI unbalanced interconnects between the Pass and Rogue. 

I think their cables provide a very good return for the money especially when you can pickup Event MKI everything during weekly A-Gon auctions.

Along with great sound, WAF is high with the Soul's...no complaints here. My next move will probably be to the Omen Def MKII's. They are a little more forgiving.

I have leaned on Zu for all sorts of information over the years and whether it's Sean or Gerrit, they are always very helpful and eager to assist and to think that they are willing to help although I have second hand speakers bought here on A-Gon, they put service above all else. 

Reading the boards, nobody is indifferent toward Zu speakers. You have those that do not like them or think that they don't perform well on a curve and you have those that really enjoy them and are repeat customers.

I am a music lover first, audiophile second and I listen to a wide range of music. I am very satisfied with the sound but a bad or lo-fi recording reveals itself rather quickly.