What Pre/Pro do you recommend?

I am currently using a Rotel 1066 which has actually served me very well. However I'm considering upgrading to a more modern Pre/Pro with the latest and greatest amenities. My budget would probably max out at 3-4K used. My needs are bass management capabilities...I am using a VPI Scout 1.1 and a PS Audio phono preamp that I need to run through the new pre/pro...I also want the latest HDMI inputs and processing. I would also like to have balanced outs.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
krelldog
Ctsooner.....I appreciate the response....can you give me a couple examples of the preamps your talking about?

Thanks
Your in luck to be looking for a pre/pro with the release of the Marantz 8802 and seeing its right in your budget , I would hesitate to get one. I have had it in my setup for a week , it replaced an oppo 105 and Marantz 8801 and the sound is extremely pure ,dynamic and it has an incredibly low noise floor, its only been a week but this thing is beginning to sound great and not many will like what I'm about to say here but Marantz tweaked the inputs for digital and jitter is a non issue and the sound is better than my Oppo 105 direct to my Halo A21 for 2/ch!
@Jdub39, I had a Emotiva UMC200 that sounded killer compared to my old oppo 105. I did sell them both and bought a 103 strictly for video HDMI.
Marantz made a point on emphasizing what they did concerning jitter , I really can't believe how good it sounds, I sold my Oppo 105 as well and replaced it with a Marantz UD5007 to use as a transport. I did plan to get the 103D but didn't need the additional features and price, plus it makes nosense to spend that much when the new 4k players are around the corner. I must say though that the UD5007 is a fantastic player with picture quality on par with the 105 a has solid construction and good looks!
Krelldog,

I know that I said in my other post that I wouldn't give you any recommendations because choosing a preamp is a personal choice. That said, it looks like you are about to jump off a cliff here and get stuck with some HT processor that may be a little better than what you have now. But I wouldn't even assume that. Rotel makes some very respectable gear, and for music it will probably sound just as good, if not better than most of the processors discussed here so far.

Here's 2 recommendations for you. The first is a Wyerd 4 Sound STP-SE. Its a fully balanced preamp that operates in both passive and active modes. Having the option to run passive is a feature that, in most cases, allows a relatively inexpensive preamp to compete sonically with active units that cost far more. It also has a HT bypass mode that allows you to put into your system without altering it in any way. You'll be under budget also, because it goes for $2000. The other unit is a Rogue RP-5. This preamp uses tubes. I don't know if you are open to that but some people will only listen to tubes. It also has a HT bypass feature. It costs more than my first recommendation, but tube products, as a general rule, usually cost more than equivalent solid state. It goes for %3500.

There are many more preamp choices out there for you as well, but I selected these 2 based on how well they will sound for the money, and how well they will integrate in your system.

Just to be clear, the main reason I'm recommending these 2 preamps, is to get better sound quality for 2 channel music. If you go with a new processor, it could sound a little better than what you have now, or maybe a little worse. But I would expect the SQ to be close to what you currently have. If you go with one of the preamps I recommended above, or something similar from another brand, the sound of your system will be completely transformed. It won't be a subtle change. Also, I'm basing my comments on real experiences. I don't get my listening experience by reading magazine articles. I do this for real.

I hope this info can help you out.