your Thoughts on AV8801?

Hi all,

I am very excited as my wife said i could finally update my old Pre/Pro my Yamaha Rx-z7 Receiver i was using as a pre/pro with my parasound A52 and 2125 amps along with my Def Tech 7002, CLR 2500 and Infinity rears and rear center along with Def TEch Trinity Sub..Sounded great..and i liked some of the DSP modes but not all of them.. But i always felt i could increase the sound quality with a true peamp processor and get better sound on music especially while still getting the same or better sound with movies.. i have read alot of reviews on both the marantz av8801 and the new Yamha CX-a5000 pre/pro.. and i had always owned Yamaha in the past including some of their older flagship receievrs..(the Marantz is actually made in Japan, impressive for newer stuff nowadays! its a rarity) I strongly considered the cx-a5000 against the 8801.. i decided to buy the 8801 and i got a smokin deal on it brand new from auth dealer with full warranty for 2399.00... it will be here by UPS on tuesday..as i figured i would try something different.... i have no need for atmos at this time so those were the only two i was considering.. The marantz actually reminded me more of the old Yamaha flagship recivers i have bought in the past in regards to its build qulaity etc HDAM's.. it looks like the newer Yammie's are stripped down.. even the new pre-amp looks like it is somewhat stripped down inside the chassis... anyway.. looking forward to other Marantz 8801 owners on how much they like their Marantz 8801... I am sure the new Yammie cx-a5000 is great as well...hopefully i won't miss the DSP's very much as i feel the Marantz's more musical sound will obviate the need for it ... what a fun hobby we have comparing all of this stuff....
audiomike1
Some of you should here the 8801 do multi/ch sacd with Audyssey over hdmi simply beautiful comes to mind! And as a preamp from my Oppo 105 its still the cats meow for 2/ch. And yes I've hooked up my 105 direct to my Halo A21 for some killer 2/ch but guess what? the 8801 remains very, very transparent to those sabre dac's. Its been 2yrs and the music collection is growing!
Agree 100% with Jdub39!!! I can't stop listening to the great BD's , SACD's , CD's and etc.. My music collection is getting bigger........ :) The 8801 does truly outperform above its price IMO.......!!! Especially with my 105D and my Technics SL1200!!!!!
lol..who knew that the entire 25000 thread amp/preamp discussion forum section, consising of dialogue on world class pre's and such were missing a key element, in the Marantz 8801!
That does it..Imma start a new thread over there. I am...no I am, yes really
Ok ok..that's probably a bit cynical on my part. I condeed.
However, apparently, in a pinch, I can substitute the Marantz for my Pass Labs pre, no problem. Who knew!?!!
So, thanks for that...

Yes he shows you spent too much money on your Pass labs. Guess what I can drive to work in a Kia at get there as fast as a Porsche in morning traffic...

That is not the issue. The OP saw a big improvement from the Yammy to the Marantz and that is good or him. It is clearly not a world class 2 channel system, and I believe he will agree to that.
I wonder how many people on here jumped at spending $$$ on a Mcintosh that uses the same technology as the marantz because it is "high-end" and the Marantz isn't. I would suggest trialing more products and less time being so sure you are right about everything.