your Thoughts on AV8801?

Hi all,

I am very excited as my wife said i could finally update my old Pre/Pro my Yamaha Rx-z7 Receiver i was using as a pre/pro with my parasound A52 and 2125 amps along with my Def Tech 7002, CLR 2500 and Infinity rears and rear center along with Def TEch Trinity Sub..Sounded great..and i liked some of the DSP modes but not all of them.. But i always felt i could increase the sound quality with a true peamp processor and get better sound on music especially while still getting the same or better sound with movies.. i have read alot of reviews on both the marantz av8801 and the new Yamha CX-a5000 pre/pro.. and i had always owned Yamaha in the past including some of their older flagship receievrs..(the Marantz is actually made in Japan, impressive for newer stuff nowadays! its a rarity) I strongly considered the cx-a5000 against the 8801.. i decided to buy the 8801 and i got a smokin deal on it brand new from auth dealer with full warranty for 2399.00... it will be here by UPS on tuesday..as i figured i would try something different.... i have no need for atmos at this time so those were the only two i was considering.. The marantz actually reminded me more of the old Yamaha flagship recivers i have bought in the past in regards to its build qulaity etc HDAM's.. it looks like the newer Yammie's are stripped down.. even the new pre-amp looks like it is somewhat stripped down inside the chassis... anyway.. looking forward to other Marantz 8801 owners on how much they like their Marantz 8801... I am sure the new Yammie cx-a5000 is great as well...hopefully i won't miss the DSP's very much as i feel the Marantz's more musical sound will obviate the need for it ... what a fun hobby we have comparing all of this stuff....
audiomike1
Personally, id get some used anthem n forget about it, likely! i see ZERO need to spend high dollars for any pre/pro these days, when you can get many hd Dolby /DTS Master equipped pre or receivers as pres for pennies, used! And most all of em can't compete with bypassing the processor fer 2 channel purity, direct to a dedicated 2 ch pre for music, anyway! But that's just me.-plus these things drop in value faster than grass grows!! So id consider...cause you will not see a big av sound difference in brand new pres vs 5 year old used units, i say
unless you need 4k pass-through, theres simply a hundred options for high performance movie sound and video switching on the cheap! but dont let me rain on ur parade. i just dont see it, personally
I think i am going to enjoy my AV8801 for a long time.. considering i paid 2229.00 it, i think i did well .... Can't imagine doing better until i get a 8802 4 or 5 years down the road when i have more speakers etc for Atmos and the price on that one has come down from 3999.00!!! LOL!! These Marantz pre/pro's are built like tanks i must say!
you know what you should do? ...you should AB movies from your Yammie into some amps, vs new $2229 used car investment, and see if anyone on your block would actually hear a difference to justify your purchase!?! My guess is..yyyeeaaah. FUN THOUGH!
OUCH! $2200 for mid-fi!!! WEeeeeeeeeeee!...
FYI , hooked this thing up tonight.. it is definitely NOT mid-fi. Blew my old Yam out of the water.... well worth the 2299.00 brand new ..... i must say.. i did'nt know what i was missing.. this thing drives my Parasound amps like no tommorow...:)