Is there advantage to balanced phono-preamp

I'm currently using VPI Aries. Is there an advantage to a
phono-preamp that runs in balanced mode.
taters
The signal from phono cartridge actually comes BALANCED. 
Each channel has +, - and ground.
all you need to do is separate ground between 2 XLR connectors.
There's also phonostage that uses 5-din receptacle. Check out Violectric P600. http://violectric-usa.com/pre-amplifiers/ppa-v600
Not associated with this company, but really like the adjustable gain on front panel. 
CLeeds, Please note that I used the word "usually" when describing the cable needed.  You've pointed out the cases where one would do other than the usual.  I was trying not to overwhelm Brrgrr with details. Thanks.

You wrote, "For example, some balanced phono preamps use RCA connectors on the inputs and a ground wire separate from the signal’s neutral. ARC phono preamps work this way and as long as you keep the shield electrically separate from the neutral, you’ve maintained the integrity of the balanced connection."

The user should beware of using an RCA-terminated IC for balanced phono, since in that case it is possible that one half of the signal, which for convenience we can call the negative phase, is being carried on the cable shield.  (There is no "neutral" in the balanced mode.) That is a compromise I would not care to make.  If the cable is knowingly constructed for balanced operation using RCA terminations, then the maker can use two conductors of equal quality for each "half" of the signal, one going to the central pin and the other going to the collar normally used as ground.  But inside the phono stage, that collar must be connected to the circuit that amplifies and RIAA equalizes the negative phase, not to chassis ground.  (Does ARC do this?) Otherwise, you don't have balanced operation.  Any ground wire is just to keep the phono stage/tonearm/turntable at the same electrical ground point.  It can be completely external to the cable itself, as I think you say. In balanced mode, audio ground can float.

Are you sure that ARC phono stages that purport to be truly balanced use RCA input jacks? (I've never seen one in the flesh, much less owned one.)  Seems to me they ought to at least offer the option of XLR input, along with RCA.  I can see why they might provide an RCA option, since most phono cables are RCA-terminated, and since most audiophiles are hopelessly confused about balanced operation.  Every other true balanced phono stage I know about provides XLR inputs, plus or minus RCA inputs.

only if you have your VPI with XLR outputs, and all your other components that work  differntially balanced.  To be correctly balanced, electronics should have  completely seperate circuits for the plus and minus portions of the signal....  Most companies put on XLR connections and call their component balanced to add cache to their product....that isn't really balanced. Because of the separation, there are many more parts and  therefore greater cost in balanced circuits.
^^ just a point of clarification, if the circuit is differential (a form of balanced operation) then the 'plus and minus portions of the signal' are handled by circuits that are **not** 'completely separate', in fact the circuits must be intimately connected to each other to create the differential operation.

A nice advantage of balanced operation with phono is the fact that the interconnect cable need no longer impose a sonic artifact on the signal. If you've ever heard of someone paying $1K for a phono cable, you know what I mean. The balanced line system was created to eliminate interconnect cable artifact and this **really** works out well with phono cartridges, since imposing artifact that that point would be at the earliest point in the system!

FWIW we make a variety of inexpensive (since balanced operation eliminates cable artifact, they don't have to be expensive anymore) balanced cables for phono use. We were the first manufacturer anywhere to use balanced inputs for phono operation.