Are Ohm-Walsh micros and 1000 series disrespected because of omni-directional design??

I never was a big fan of Omni-directional speakers because they are often disappointing.  I don't need the sound in back of me or 2 foot to my right or left.  However, I have seen many testimonials for Ohm -Walsh speaker on Audiogon, yet they are infrequently reviewed. 

Therefore, are Ohm-Walsh speakers disrespected because of  their Omni directional design??. I  noticed two issues on their website: 1) how do your determine which micro or tall column will be compatible for the dimensions of your listening area, especially if your listening area is only part of a larger room. 2)  A  buyer can easily mistake  the way they are priced. For example, the OW Talls (w-1000)  are $ 1000 each, NOT $1000 FOR THE PAIR.  So, that model is $2000 a pair, and there is lot of competition from conventional designed speaker, in that price category For example. the Golden Ear Technology. model 7, and the Magneplanar .07 both in the $1400-1500 price range and, some of the PSB towers, like the T-2 or T-3. or Monitor Audio recent series.. 

Would like some feedback about whether this Ohm-Wash design is disrespected  by the major audio press. Are  hardcore audiophile not convinced by the Omni-directional design and results, and so it never gets a f"air shake or serious audition,

sunnyjim
Hi SJ - 

It may just be that it is just plain difficult to find a dealer that handles Ohm speakers and to my memory, I have never seen a pair at one of the shows.  And granted, I may be wrong on both counts.  But for a speaker manufacturer that is located a half mile or so from my brother-in-law (downtown Brooklyn), who lives maybe a few miles from me (Central Queens), their existence couldn't be more of a secret.

Several years back, I had a flirtation with acquiring a pair of Ohms, I could not make sense out of their web site.  I don't have a problem ordering sight unseen and on-line, but I could not figure out what to even consider and if the speaker's dimensions would work in my apartment, etc  (Note: OHM's website today is light year's more intelligible than it used to be).  

I like the idea of omni-directional speakers and engulfing an area in sound.  There were some few well executed examples in the 1970's.  In a few years, when we pack up and head to our retirement home, I would strongly consider going omni-directional.

Rich 

To Rich, you have made many of the same observation that I have about Ohm-Walsh.  I have to confess of never going to shows, but I am very surprised that they don't attempt to get a booth and " strut  their stuff". however,  electronic shows are usually the worst venue to demo a speaker and not the greatest environment to provide good sound

There is thread on AG that goes back to 2006 or 2008 that ask  "Has anyone heard the Walsh micros or Walsh Talls.  The first 20 respondes I read were very favorable about the sound they produced which surprisingly lauded transparency, bass response, top end smoothness.  In that mix, one member claimed he tried them and returned them, because he got tired of their "parlor tricks" For me ,that comment was a troubling indictment, and triggered some of my own reservations of ever considering them. I made the association that the sound was around the listener, was not distinct or detailed, and kind of amorphous or nonspecific in imaging or sound staging. In looking back at this negative perspective recently, I thought maybe  OW over the last 25 years has perfected the performance of their black basket driver which crowns the top of all their models.

I recall in the 1970's visiting a dealer who had a speaker made by a Swedish company,  Sonus Labs that was  a rectangular box about 16 inches high, and 25 inches long The two drivers were visible on a slanted baffle board, and the speaker was placed vertically with the baffle board and drivers facing the wall. I listened to them for a hour, and felt they produced very pleasant sound, not particularly dynamic, but the soundstage was wide and reasonably deep, and most importantly, they sounded accurate and detailed.  However, I was just getting into audio and did not want to take a chance on such an exotic design.  Keep in mind, the Bose 901, and the small box like speaker, Bose 501 were going much the same thing as the Sonus Labs model. 

I actually owned a pair of Bose 501, and loved their sound. with the added bonus of them having deep, taut bass. ( I must have played the Band's first album 50 times just to here the bass drum on the cut "Jemina Surrender"  and "the Great Divide"..  ....Thanks for the comments. 

Sunnyjim. you are welcome any time in the central Maryland area to visit and hear my ohms. I have f5 series 3, 100series 3, and my old refurbed Ohm Ls.  Also a few other brands running as well for comparisons.