Magnepan's 1.7i c/w 2 DWM bass panels v 3.7i

Hi,

Would a pair of Magnepan's 1.7i's with two Magnepan  DWM Bass Panels be the equivalent or perhaps better than a pair of 3.7i's without Bass Panels?
The reason I ask is that in the near(ish) future I am thinking the possibility of adding a secondary system. I have set a budget, well the budget has really been set for me really of about 10k, to Include speakers, amp, cd player. Any thoughts/views/experiences would be greatly appreciated. I have set my mind on a pair of Magnepans.
I recently got out an aged pair of MG1's that I have had stored away for a long time, and I liked the way they portray music, I want 'more' of the same, as it were.

Thanks in advance.

128x128gawdbless
Agree with the above, however the 3.7i with (2) DWM would be the best :-)  Just trying to spend your money for you.
Thanks for your replies, I have come up with this for starters...

3.7i- $6475;
Emotiva XPA-2 Amp  $719;
Morrow Speaker/Interconnects Bundle $430
Morrow MAP1 Power Cords x 2 $318;

Which would leave approx. $2000 for a CD player. 

Unless the CD player has a controllable variable output, you'll need a preamp also.
Depending on your room size the 3.7i's without the DWM base modules would be the way to go. IMHO stay away from class D amps with the 3.7i and 20.7i's. I had a REF 5SE preamp with some ARC DS450M ($12k) mono-blocks and couldn't get the magic that 3.7i's were capable of. Recently switched to a pair of PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP's with 16 KT150 tubes and couldn't be happier.