Pass Labs X2.5 or Krell KAV-280p? WWYD?

I'm shopping the used preamp market, and see a few solid state units in my price range. Notably the Pass Labs X2.5 and the Krell KAV-280p. Within $500 of each other, both are very affordable.  And I need to say that borrowing one and listening to it in my system is not an option, I have to purchase on faith. So, I call on the vast experience of my fellow A'Goner's!  WWYD? (What would you do?)  

I have always been a solid state kind of guy, listen mostly to rock music, and my system consists of a Cary 306 CD player, VPI Scout w/Sumiko BPS III through a Phonomena phono pre, and Forte' Model 3 driving Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers in a 16x20 room. Most cables are Harmonic Technology Truthlink, with a Van Den Hul cable on phono and Legacy speaker cables. The amp is next on my list, so the Forte's days are numbered.  The preamp I'm replacing is a Parasound Halo 3. 

Has as anyone actually compared the two preamps? Or heard either one in a familiar system? I appreciate all opinions, advice, and testimonies. 
alpha_gt
A Coda Unison 3 Ultra  Limited Edition just popped up on the Audio Asylum Trader for a steal price of $1,250.

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Integrated-Amplifier-SS/Coda/Unison-3-Ultra/Rare-Limited-Edition/144883

I have no affiliation with the seller. I just think at that price, it's a no brainer, especially with Legacy Audio speakers. Legacy and Coda were made for each other.
Thanks for the link John, that's a good looking intigrated! And you're right, Coda was making Legacy amps for a long time.  I just saw a Krell FBP 300 on eBay that's located right here in Virgina! Substantially more expensive than the Coda, but wow what an amp! 

There is certainly no shortage of great gear on the used market. I might have to cash out a few rare coins and just go for it. While it can be very hard to part with that kind of money, I have never regretted a dime I've spent on real high end gear. And despite what I've read concerning hi end stereo is not a safe investment, every single piece of my system is worth more than I paid for it! Am I just lucky? Or a careful shopper? Or is it just timing? 

so this post started out comparing two solid state preamps, but I'm in the market for a new amp and preamp, and either one that I find first will be fine with me. Thanks again for your input John. 

Russell

Happy hunting Russell. It's a buyers market out there right now. I know, I've overspent, and unfortunately I am on the other end now. 

If you do grab one of those big, old classic amps, make sure that it has been recapped recently, or be prepared for that possibility. Generally speaking, those big, power amps need to be recapped every 15-25 years.