preventing usb bus overload.

I read that if the music on my external hard drive connects to my PC by usb (which it does) instead of by firewire, then I should not connect my PC to my DAC by usb because it could overload the usb bus and cause some kind of issue. What's my solution here? (a newer PC with optical s/pdif or coax output?)
Can somebody explain in laymen terms? I'm new and "trying to learn cuz I listen". Thanks!
128x128labguy
I have operated two Windows 7 based systems with USB HD's and simultaneous USB feed to asynchronous DAC's with no obvious problems, and no sonic compromises that I am aware of. Of course, YMMV, depending upon a whole lot of variables in computer audio...
You can connect an external hard drive using esata, and use usb for the dac. Also, don't overlook the power supply. Its very important to get a good one.
I am not on Windows,I use a mac mini for music sever.
I have heard the same thing. My external drive that contains the music is Lacie 3Tb USB3.
My mini is only USB2,Firewire800,Thunderbolt.
All other drives except USB are way more expensive,and hard to find.I also have WD My Studio Passport Firewire Hard drive.
I used both, can't tell the difference. Sorry.
I just use my Lacie now, so that means both my dac and hard drive are on USB.
Don't loose sleep over it.Just enjoy your music.
George
"All other drives except USB are way more expensive,and hard to find.I also have WD My Studio Passport Firewire Hard drive."

You're probably not going to find something in Best Buy. There's plenty of external HD's that have other connection options, but you'll have to get them from places like amazon and newegg. An even better option would be to just buy regular internal hard drives, and put them in external enclosures. (Just to note, all external hard drives are either 2.5 or 3.5 inch internal HD's in an enclosure anyway.) HD enclosures are not expensive. If you live near a Tiger Direct store, you may want to go there as soon as possible. About a week ago they announced that they will be closing all of their stores, and are in the process of liquidating them as we speak. Just be careful and check the prices on anything you buy with other stores first. Some items they lowered the price on, but on other items, they actually raised prices quite a bit. Believe it or not, people seem to be buying the expensive stuff like it was actually on sale.
Zd452
Thanks for the information,I was actually thinking about buying an OWC external hard drive case,just the other day.
They only cost 77 dollars but then a 4 TB drive is another 170 at least maybe more and I still need to perform the installation. I might just buy an OWC external drive, Firewire800, prebuild, they seem to offer great price comparison to other brands .
I love the Lacie or G-Technology but they never go on sale,damn it.
George