No bass with new turntable?

Hello, I've just set up a Pro-ject Carbon DC Esprit, dialed in the arm etc., and while the upper spectrum of the sound is great, there is just no bass, let's say below the 80-100hz range. It's been probably 30 years since I've fooled around with turntables so I can't remember if that's just the way it's supposed to be. Luckily I have a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system to turn up what I'm missing, but without that I'd be completely disappointed. Using a CDP my speakers are very full of bass. I've played with the tone arm adjustments with no difference in bass really, all supplied cables hooked up and checked, the cart is an Ortofon Red, the phono preamp is integrated in the Rogue Audio Sphinx amp.
 Any suggestions/opinions?
wetfeet48
Wetfeet, I forgot to respond to your question about Bryston.

I am using home-brew Class A electronics now, which is a big step up from Bryston, but I still remember both the 3B-SST and 4B-SST fondly. Bulletproof doesn't begin to say it. I accidentally shorted out the 4B by touching the speaker terminals to an aluminum chassis, basically using the machine as an arc-welder. Naturally, the 4B shut right down. I thought, "I can't expect Bryston to pay for this much foolishness," but thought that I might as well listen before I packed it up for factory service.

I waited half an hour for it to cool right down, then fired it up. Perfect. Unchanged. Wow.

Also, before I bought them, I talked to the factory. They put me through to some guy, highly expert, who took an hour to talk audio with me. Turned out, he was the president. Some company.

More about Bryston - the SST's were very musical, not harsh at all, and that in an all-electrostatic system. Now I have more clarity, but I could still be happy with a system built around Bryston. Recommended product, recommended company.
Gosh terry9, "unstable" was just a tip of the iceberg. I'd love to see your entire system. It sounds like you are, how should I say, deep into it. I fully agree with your assessment of Bryston. I don't believe I've owned anything whatsoever for 17 years, much less an electronic component. 2 years ago, which is 15 years after buying the unit, sent it in for a little check up, Bryston replaced the entire front faceplate and knobs gratis because a little paint was coming off the name, the guy says that wasn't suppose to happen. Exemplary product. In fact I'm having a hard time parting with it and now planning a completely un-needed second system for somewhere in the house based around the old Bryston. Although in my heart I really wanted a second "fantasy" system to be pure tubes, just for contrast. Interesting you've went to Class A, as I see many manufacturers going to Class D, like a Bel Canto, Peachtree, Wyred, etc. 
I couldn't decide so I went with a hybrid. 

Dkarmeli, I suppose price is relevant. The Esprit DC is no VPI Scout by any means, but it's not a Crosley either. It fits in with my system and budget, and I can at least upgrade the cart down the line. I'm not sure what type of bass a much higher priced unit would give. I'm not a bass head or looking for exaggerated bass, I just want to hear what's supposed to be there, naturally. I've went to considerable length and cost to have natural bass in my system.

Wetfeet, ime natural bass is critical also difficult to realize when only so few components are natural to begin with, so I applaud you in your quest. I find some vintage tts and arms have that natural quality while most modern ones I've heard/owned, including some big ticket table, are anything but natural.

david
Wetfeet, I like Class A. Profligate use of power, but commensurately clean sound. With ESL's you really hear it.

[Heresy alert] By the way, my electronics are all solid state, full complementary designs. The electronics may not sound the best, but the system does. That is because the amps can be designed so that they cannot overdrive the speakers into protection - and that means that performance robbing protection circuits are necessary, and if present, can be removed with impunity.

Which explains the paradox: even if the amps are not the absolute best, the system as a whole has been optimized.