Am I too cynical?

I recently purchased a new set of speakers.  I spent a considerable amount of time reading the high end magazines and listening to various options.  I could not help but to be struck by how the positive magazine reviews were almost always accompanied by an advertisement (usually a full page or more) by the manufacturer of the product that received the rave review by the magazine.  No to pick on one, but Golden Ear must spend a great deal of money on advertising and it seems to pay off as their Triton speakers get universally great reviews.  

Given that great press I auditioned a pair (don't recall which model) and found them to be good, but not exceptional.  I also listened to some other well reviewed/advertised models by Dynaudio, Spendor, etc.  in the end I purchased a pair of Linn Majik 140s.  I have never seen a review for these speakers, nor have I ever seen them advertised.  

I don't want to sound naive about how the business of running a magazine works, but I would expect a little more objectivity on their part.  Or am I just too cynical?
jcs01
Not really cynical, maybe naive. I see that you are new here, welcome.

I stopped leafing through the glossy rags many years ago, when I realized they were nothing more than expanded advertisements.
Pretty pictures, specs may be helpful, but the reading is obviously transparent.
I don't dislike them, I just take them for what they are, part of the marketing arm of high fidelity. They certainly shouldn't be taken any more seriously than comic books.
Yes, I know, some grown men take comic books very seriously too.

One thing they did teach me, decades ago "you pays your money, you makes your choices". 
Sam Tellig I believe, basically saying listen with your own ears.
Some years back, after a long hiatus, I returned to putting together an audio system.
I scoured the magazine's, made notes, ETC.
Then I purchased the highly rated equipment here on Agon.
It all arrived safe and sound and I proceeded to wire it up and fire it up.
WOW, I couldn't believe that high end audio had plunged to such depths.
I then reached out to some fellow audiophiles for some help.
I sold the class "A" rated gear and purchased some recommended equipment that occasionally gets a mention from the "show reports".
Much much better.
Sadly, in my quest to improve my system I got lulled back into the "A" rated equipment reviews and replaced my preamp.
I thought I was happy with it until a friend asked me if the noise from it bothered me? I wasn't sure what he meant until he brought over his (un-reviewed) preamp.
That was/is the end of taking stock in the magazine reviews.
There are many very good "underground" products out there and some very good advice available here.
I still like the magazines in order to keep up with what's new. 
But I wonder why my ability to hear things is so different from the reviewers.

It's a jungle out there......and you're smeared with meat product.  You are absolutely correct in your assessment.  So many of the "A" components are disappointing and relatively unknown small companies can throw out great pieces for very reasonable cost sans an advertising budget. 

It's the nature of the beast in nearly all products: heavy marketing, okay product........no marketing, better products competing on merit.

Gee, I can't decide what I regret more, reading reviews in Hifi mags or this thread.  ;)

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the opinions of those who take the time to post their experiences because I think it is important to have a counterbalance to the onslaught of advertising.  

Welcome! jcs01

yes those companies pay a small fortune for ads in the Audio rags.

It is a very rare event to read a negative review.

More to discover