Servers: Are we there yet?

I was shocked to discover that my brand-new high-end server is entirely dependant on a functional wireless network. If either the Ipad or the wifi are not working, the server is rendered non-functional. I spoke to the dealer and he informed me that all the servers he carries are like that. Huh?!?
psag
I've been a very bad girl,' she said, biting her lip. 'I need to be punished.'
'Very well,' he said and installed Windows 10 on her laptop.

I've never had any experience with Windows 10, but judging by this joke it might be bad (like Vista?).  I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit at work and it is very stable.   I also drive 1996 Toyota - Avalon (bless this car).  It will be very likely running for next 10 years.  I have to find a way to kill it (so many nice new cars).
I am late to the party, but glad to see this topic discussed by new and old computer audio users. 

I am am a new convert, and chose an all out assault with the purchase of a Lumin A-1 and Synology NAS. It took 3 painful weeks to get all my 300+ CDs ripped with their associate artwork, but I am now more than happy with result. So much so, that I sold my SACD player.   I also use Tidal, an excellent source in my opinion. I sort of hate paying for music via a subscription this way;. I would rather own my music outright. However, I am able to now enjoy music I would otherwise would not consider because things are now so convenient. 

I see there are a few Aurender users here. Are there any Lumin uses, or does anyone have an opinion on either of the systems?

scott_w, 

how do you operate Sony app and player when there is no internet connectivity?
Hello folks....
I sold my Bluesound Vault2 with Node2 to a fellow member here (most current iterations) after growing tired of getting too damned close to my computer too often to play music.  My computer is upstairs,  my stereo is downstairs,  to run an ethernet cable approximately 100 feet was not going to happen.  To leave my computer on just to play music bothered the heck was not going to happen,  either.

The sonics of the Bluesound were appreciable,  don't mistake my displeasure with the format to cast aspersions on Bluesound.  I subscribed to Tidal as well.  It was fun trying to stump Tidal on albums that I already have...

I just today purchased a Sony Hapz1es right here on the 'Gon for far less than it's advertised all over the place - low enough to give me another go at this category.  I want simple,  and from what my research into it has thus far uncovered is that it is simple.

If not I'll dig up my 8tracks and drive off a cliff.
@oblgny  I'm in the market for a Node 2 (don't care about the Vault). Apart from the fact that you didn't like the idea of leaving your computer on all the time, did you have any other issues with the Node? How would you rate the SQ compared to straight from CD source?