I am really disappointed with the hip-hop enthusiasts on Audiogon

The grandfather of hip-hop music dies and not a word about it on here!

taters
Herndonb - I’ll second you on Outkast’s Mrs. Jackson. Digable Planets is worth checking out too. I’m really not that much of rap or hip hop fan and don’t know Blowfly but I do think an argument can be made for Gil Scott Heron as well as The Last Poets being hugely important in the origins and development of rap/hip hop.

I put on phones and checked out Mrs. Jackson based on the double recommendation above.  Good music on the chorus, but I don't think I'll be giving it a second listen--so much better stuff to listen to out there (not necessarily current stuff).  Gratuitously nasty lyric in places which I don't care for (not happy with Zappa when he did that, either.  At times it was funny and/or to the point, but often just juvenile and unnecessary). Overall, more listenable for me than a lot I've heard.  That's saying a lot.

I always thought of myself as being a generation removed from Rap. I don’t listen to or have any desire to listen to most rock, any metal, or country. But I respect those that do, and don’t find it necessary to denigrate music I don’t enjoy. Doing so says a lot more, imo, about the person doing the denigrating, than it does the music. It’s a big world with lots of variety - deal with it.
Post removed