DAC vs. Preamp

I have just purchased Parasound JC1 Monos and will be getting Triton Ones soon. I will be using an Arcam cd player and Macbook Pro. I think I'm done with vinyl. Too much work. Would a good DAC be sufficient in this configuration or is a preamp still the way to go. I don't want the DAC to be a weak link yet money is definitely a concern. This is a brand-new system so I'm wide open to suggestions. Help,please.

Thanks, Mike

128x128bubba12
I was in the same situation as you. I am recently sold a superb BAT VK-42SE pre-amp because I decided to use a DAC with a digital volume control as a pre-amp. I decided to keep the signal path simpler.

My current office system, is a KEF LS50 speakers and the following. a FM Tuner that I use regularly (for KCRW from Santa Monica, CA). At the moment I have a Benchmark DAC2 with my Magnum Dynalab FM Tumer connected to 1 of 2 available analog inputs on the DAC. The rest of the inputs are all digital. I USB from the PC to the DAC and another coaxial from the PC (Jule sound card). The USB is for the ROON/Tidal music server. The coaxial is for things like YouTube and such from the internet.

The Benchmark DAC2 is superb, the sound is clear, fatigue free, and just plain enjoyable, I do not miss the BAT pre-amp at all. I am waiting to get the Benchmark AHB2 amp to pair with this DAC. The noise floor on this combination is supposed to be the lowest of any amps you will currently find AT ANY PRICE. I think the BAT sound was a little fuller sounding in my system, but I am not sure if it was the correct sound. It was enjoyable as heck and I loved it but the current setup I have is also amazing and simpler.

I also need to get a second bigger system for another room and I will do a similar setup as the office. I was looking at the following:

1) Devialet (to keep things even simpler, DAC + pre-amp + amp all in one)
2) PS Audio Direct Stream DAC
3) Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC
4) Another Benchmark DAC2 + AHB2 amp

I have heard 2, 3, 4 (minus the amp). I was all excited about the Devialet but after a lot of online research I got the impression that Devialet is not as responsive to their users as the other 3 companies. Things like the wifi connectivity issues on the Devialet and the Devialet user feedback from the online forum turned me off. The other 3 are just DACs with digital volume control and they sound just incredible.

#3, is a sleeper, just a beautiful sound on that DAC. #2, the PS Audio DS is very intriguing and I like the fact that PS Audio seems like such a progressive audio company. They listen to customers and are continually improving the DAC (for free). The Benchmark + AHB2 may win out just based on reviews I have read.

There are a lot of good DACs out there (my suggestion is the 3 I have listed) and I think that in the $2-5K price range you will get a DAC that will make you forget the need for a analog pre-amp.

Great reply YYZsantabarbara! Many choices. I'm checking out the Exogal Comet right now.

Hello,

I just signed the petition "Bring together Roon & PS Audio Bridge II" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 100 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/brian-luczkiewicz-paul-mcgowan-bring-together-roon-ps-audio-bridge-ii?recruiter=281600666&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

Thanks!
Mark
This is the letter on the petition that is addressed to PS Audio’s Paul McGowan and Roon’s Brian Luczkiewicz

Many of us own PS Audio PerfectWave DAC products. The PS Audio Network Bridge allows the PerfectWave DAC to operate at its fullest potential, and that potential is a force to be reckoned with! For many of you, I am preaching to the choir. This DAC & network enabled Bridge is one of the best available on the market.
Roon is simply the most impressive music management software that I have ever seen, and I think I have seen them all! It is beautifully designed so the experience of listening to music is enhanced while using it, rather than countless other programs that are a tedious distraction. Roon is not overcomplicated, yet it allows us to correctly configure the precise controls that a proper hi-fi DAC such as the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC requires.
For those of you who are Roon users, I urge you to check out the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC. For the PS Audio owners, you MUST download the trial to Roon right away! It will change your life!
This petition is to show support to the good people at Roon & PS Audio. They are already working together to try to figure out how to integrate Roon & the PS Audio Bridge, so this petition is to help them give the project some steam and get it done! Please sign this and forward it to any Roon or PS Audio user that you feel is appropriate. The more support we demonstrate may just push this past the tipping point!