I am really disappointed with the hip-hop enthusiasts on Audiogon

The grandfather of hip-hop music dies and not a word about it on here!

taters
Hey, I down a tablespoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar every morning. I definitely wouldn't want to drink a whole glass. And I don't look forward to that tablespoon in the morning either.

rzado ,...

I agree totally with you. Its hard to believe what is played at the audio shows to demo equipment. I mean tens of thousands of dollars, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment ... and demonstrated with crappy music?? I don't get it.

I don't do CES anymore. Hate Vegas. Always came home sick, not to mention that it takes a week to get the tobacco smoke out of my sinuses. But ... I go to the Newport show every year. Its great. We always take our own  music and get great comments from the fellow listeners after the demo.

What is it with most recording engineers these days? Why are so many recordings drenched in artificial digital reverb?  Its totally unnecessary. I have a lot of recordings engineered by Kevin Grey and he doesn't add that reverb. His recordings sound great. Listen to anything on the Impex label. All engineered by Kevin. 

I subscribe to both TAS and Stereophile. With every issue, I check out the music recommendations on Spotify, including the music the reviewers use while auditioning equipment up for review. In so many cases, we have that artificial reverb, or just plain zero talent. This is one of the reasons I take the reviewers with a grain of salt. 

Last year at the Newport show, I sat next to a well known reviewer at a demo. He pulled out a thumb drive and asked the guy in charge to please play some of his favorite music. Pure crap and even crappier sound.  What gives? I know this guy can hear. He's highly respected in the audiophile community. His reference system is worth over 300 grand. And he plays crap? Go figure.

On Rap music ... is it true that if one listens to a lot of Rap, one develops an overwhelming desire to dye one's hair purple and to get as many tattoos as possible? 

Just asking ...
"Is it true that if one listens to a lot of Rap, one develops an overwhelming desire to dye one's hair purple and to get as many tattoos as possible"

Wrong genre Oregonpapa.
Now that this post has taught me that Blowfly (undoubtedly insightfully) covered Otis wth "Shitting on The Dock of the Bay", I'm even more intrigued.

As to Grandfather/Godfather of hip hop, I'm not sure what that means.  Gil Scott-Heron and/or Joe Tex are frequently cited as the originators of rap, but I've never seen Blowfly mentioned (prior to this thread).  Is that a distinction between rap and hip-hop or did I just somehow miss this?