Pass INT-30A with Acoustic Zen Adagio

I'm currently using a Pass INT-30A with a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers.  Based on all review I've read, the reviews of both the speakers and the amp led me to believe that this would be a very smooth, musical combination.  However, I'm finding it to be rather analytical.  Good recordings sound fantastic, but any recordings that are just a hair short of spectacular come across as sounding very bad.  This is not what I was looking to get into, having only a portion of my music that I can listen to due to this problem.  

I have been racking my brain for days now trying to decide if I should switch out the amp or the speakers.  The amp does so many things so well, but so do the speakers.  I was considering a pair of LSA2 towers, since I used to own the LSA1 bookshelves and found them to be the smoothest, most musical speakers I've ever owned.  On the other hand, I could swap out the amp and go back to tubes and get that smoothness back that way.

Has anyone had experience with this amp, the speakers, or even both in combination?
jwglista
Lots of great input here on the topic, thanks guys.  

Newbee: If you prefer tubes like I do, then I'm afraid the Pass may not be your way out of tubes completely.  I thought it might be the way for me, but I am not realizing that dream.  It's very difficult building a system based on reviews and articles online.  For a while there, I was staying firm on my personal policy of never buying anything before I heard it, but due to the limited selection at dealers in my area, I had no choice but to buy online.  I then tried sticking only to online sellers that have a trial period, but I even slipped on that one too and got bit by that.  I'd love to try the Silverlines, but could only do it if I had a way to try them risk-free.  But they do sound promising based on your description.

jond: The rest of my system leans towards warm sounding ancillaries.  My interconnects are both balanced and single-ended Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref II (PCOCC copper), and Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables.  These cables are some of the most organic sounding I've heard for the money.  My DAC is a PS Audio DirectStream running the 1.2.1 firmeware, which I find to be the most organic sounding of all the firmwares.  My analog setup is a Rega RP3 with Elys 2, and a Vincent Audio PHO 8 phono stage.

missioncoonery: the Mac amps have sort of been on my radar, since they seem to have a sound that I would like.  However, I've always got the impression that they were a tad overpriced.  I've read that they haven't changed their designs much in the last 30 years, but not sure if that is entirely true.  Either way, value is all in the eye of the beholder.  If they provide a sound that is irreplaceable, then I may find it well worth the money.

steakster: I have tried a few different amps with my Acoustic Zens.  I've actually only owned the Adagios for about 3 months so far.  Prior to that I owned a pair of Golden Ear Triton 3's.  For several years, I owned a PrimaLuna Prologue Two and a Yamaha A-S2000 (winter and summer time systems, since my listening room used to be a small upstairs bedroom).  I upgraded to a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium before I got my Adagios, and found the combination to be a tad too aggressive for my tastes. This was the main reason for me getting the Pass INT-30A, as I thought it would be the end-all-be-all in terms of smoothness, liquidity, and warmth.  I was rather disappointed to find that this was not achieved when combined with the Adagios.

My local dealer sells Rogue Audio amps, and I am planning to do an audition sometime this week.  Based on the reviews, I'm not sure that it will have the sound that I am craving.  It puts out 100 watts push-pull with KT120 tubes, but 100 watts means it is driving those tubes hard.  I expect to hear a decent amount of grain (also something that the Pass was absolutely exceptional with), but as long as that does not manifest as aggressiveness in the treble, I may be ok with it, as long as I get a nice enjoyable musical sound.
Used tubes off and on for 50 years.  Switched a few times to SS and then back to tubes. Most recently switched to the 30a and couldn't be happier.  Using mine with Merlin's and find the sound devine.  
I used a Pass INT30A with a pair of Focal 1007Be and it was very smooth and detailed. Prior to the INT30A I had a Cary SLI-80F1 and the Pass was much better throughout the audio spectrum; I sold the Cary. Sources are a modded Sony scd-1 and VPI Classic TT with a Herron VTPH-2 phono-stage all HGA cabling SIlver DNA interconnects and x32 Speaker Cables. I listen mostly to classical and female jazz vocals.

Chuck
Anyone want to comment on the Pass INT30 & INT 60 models?

Keep  me posted & Happy Listening!
May I suggest Musical Fidelity as another option? Lower price point that McIntosh and similar sound. I think you may find them less analytical than the Pass. I might also suggest Simaudio or Ayre but those are in the same price range as McIntosh.

Can you find a local dealer that would let you try out at home for a while?

I'm currently using a Musical Fidelity integrated amp with a pair of Adagios and think it works very well. I also lean more towards the warm, analog side of things.