Krell KAV 300i Problem

Hi, everyone,

My beautiful Krell KAV300i has started to show some issue recently that I hope somebody here can address the problem. Well, I can explain the problem as follows;

1- Amp is on, nothing connected to the input jacks, when I get closer my hands or touch one of the input RCA jacks a very high, annoying hum starts,

2- Amp is on and I play and listen to something thru one of the single ended inputs without having a problem. But when I switch to an empty input channel annoying hum starts again.

This probably happens to be a grounding problem and just have occurred very recently. Something has failed inside the amp but what would it be? I have been using another system using the same AC outlet having no problem at all. I also tried this amp in another room but the problem was still there.

I’d like to have comments on this.
Thanks.
hmavunduk
I agree it's broken and it needs to be fixed. The hum as you describe is not normal. I used to own the KAV 300i for several years and not once did it have any hum.  
Get a Vanguard and be done for life...saw Hifi Heaven is selling them for $3495!!  Unbeatable at almost any price.
I just found that 'preamp out' jacks of the amp shows short circuit when I check them with a multimeter. Is that normal? If not what would be wrong?  

(I actually took out preamp section before checking)
No, that doesn't sound normal, if you were measuring between the center pin and the ground sleeve of each of the two RCA connectors, or between the center pin of one connector and the center pin of the other connector.

On the other hand, if you were measuring between the ground sleeves of the two connectors it would be perfectly normal.

Regards,
-- Al