Recording Quality and Different Studios

Hi Everyone,

Are there any artists / studios that you gravitate to because of recording quality standards?  I hear alot of discussion on certain pressings for a particular artist (i.e. needle in a haystack), but I'm wondering if there is a label out there that focus on putting out good quality high fidelity vinyl.  I want to avoid some of the hipster pressings (i.e. only pressed on vinyl to jump on the train), and focus on better quality.  Thoughts?
128x128martinman
martinman
As much as I like the staff at Music Direct, I have never understood the company's stubborn refusal to properly pack vinyl for shipping. Acoustic Sounds creates that cardboard slope at each end of the vinyl cardboard package which absorb corner dents that ALWAYS happen in shipping, Soundstagedirect has internal cardboard bumpers that do so as well. I don't recall the last time I received a album jacket that was damaged anywhere based on the great packaging by both of the above.
Music Direct's packing, with its hard 90 degree corners near the corner of the album jacket practically exacerbate the corner crushes that occur in shipping and often crush at least one corner of the album or albums within. I realize it's not the end of the world but why should I bother with them when I can get a clean new album from another co. By the way, I have alerted MD to the problem a few times over the years but to no avail. So I rarely buy from them anymore. Am I alone?  
gpgr4blu -- I will never order anything from Music Direct again.  Based on my experience with their customer service.  I ordered $50 worth of vinyl not a $5k amplifier.  Ridiculous.  You're exactly right about the packaging.  In total, my package was bounced around for 3 weeks in the back of a USPS truck.  It clearly wasn't prepared for the journey adequately.  
If I buy vinyl mail order I will only deal with Acoustic Sounds. They pack the best and When I had a problem they took care of it promptly. I have been hearing a lot of negative things about Music Direct lately. In the past they were always good. I don't know what happened with them.
I prefer to buy LPs in a store locally. But then I live in the desert, and for much of the year the temperature inside a delivery truck out here is insane. Luckily there are stores not too far away that actually stock and sell LPs. When I do have to go mail order, I call and have the package held at the local distribution center, and pick it up there.