Internal Power Surges and Dedicated Circuits

My question, do dedicated circuits protect gear from "internal" power surges occurring in other circuits? I realize, that external power surges happen that can affect all circuits, but my question is not about that nor is this intended to be a discussion about sound quality.

Kenny

kennythekey

williewonka, thanks for all of this good information.

I'm trying to be a minimalist in terms of adding filters and suppression directly to my audio gear. I would rather, if possible, quiet the noisy appliances on those other circuits and keep my audio circuits as unfiltered or nearly unfiltered, so that the AC is delivered as is.

I will be doing the all house solution first and may apply both stage 1 and 2 protection out there. I have two dedicated 20 amp circuits with isolated grounds for my audio gear. Instead, of re-arranging the panel, or adding a separate panel, how would I quiet my AC/Furnace, dryer, refrigerators, etc., from spilling noise over to my audio circuits? What type of units are available to use on those types of appliances? I'm not familiar with that approach.

Kenny

Kenny - I would suggest a trip to an Electrical Supply Store, (NOT Home Depot) since they will have products that can probably fit into the distribution panel you currently have

Personally I  have not found a need for such devices.

A company called Allen Bradley offers some of the best products available for this purpose

See...
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/br/4983-br001_-en-p.pdf.

Regards...
Kenny - just been reading a little about modern appliances and found out that if an appliance has any kind of digital controller in them, the motors are probably "supressed" to avoid blowing the control circuit

In which case there is no need to add additional suppression.

Another example - If you have a mid or high efficiency furnace it will probably also contain a digital controller circuit, so again,  I doubt you will need any additional device.

Regards...

Again, thank you.

I recently moved into my home and know that most of the major appliances are new or like-new. The j-boxes are all metal in the house. I had a licensed electrician install the 20A dedicated circuits, and it was he who recommended the isolated grounds.

Due to multiple foundation walls in the way, the boxes/IG receptacles were installed in the floor behind my audio rack. UF-B wire was used in the crawl space and continues under the outside deck and then straight to the panel. The wire was run in metal conduit where exposed outside. The one thing that I really like about this install, is that the wiring is nowhere near any other wiring, as it is basically run outside of the home, so isolated in that respect.

I had some thoughts about providing stage 3 protection for the audio gear, but I'm trying to avoid tampering with the AC power. Another consideration is AC conditioning, and one can spend a small fortune on that stuff. Do you think, I can do without that as well?

I consider any type of conditioning as a last resort that depends on the state of the power supply.

If the supply is good you’d be much better off spending that money on good power cables.

If the supply has a lot of problems, then it’s definitely worth considering

Are you into making your own power cables?

If yes see...
http://www.image99.net/blog/files/be8de0c383c5434907610d6b55049e69-75.html

I  found them to be the best I’ve tried to date - they provide a very quiet background

Regards - Steve :-)