Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I wonder why good new music is so scarce? When I bought Mingus's famous album"Mingus Ah Um" in 1960, I bought it because of the abstract art cover work, I had never heard of Charles Mingus. It was just that easy to buy good jazz at the record store. Now all I do is accumulate losers.

As we came into the 60's, there was a lot of prosperity in that decade; the auto industry in Detroit was booming, it seemed that everyone was driving a new car, and don't forget about "Motown". The same could be said for St. Louis, and Chicago.

Although I didn't go to LA during that time, it had a music scene that rivaled New York. What do you find in those cities now? If no one has anything to sing about, how can you expect musicians to make good new music?

Right now I think I'll take a step back to some better times and sample a little "Chitlin Con Carne" with Kenny Burrell, who is one of my favorite guitarists; he does jazz in a soulful bluesy kind of way. Here's an album no collection should be without, "Midnight Blue". Every cut on this is a winner, and when you add Stanley Turrentine's tenor sax, you got some downright low down blues. "Just throw me back in the alley and let me roll with the rest of the tin cans" is what I heard a lady say in a juke joint while shaking her hips and popping her fingers; she was feeling real good.

Take your time, settle back and relax while you listen to this complete LP.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWDwOsQqlw&list=PL4DB8E958D5D43CC3[/url]

Enjoy the music.
It sounds as if The Frogman was running barefooted and stepped on a nail.   Should we dispatch the Jazz medics?

Cheers

I've got just the thing to ease his pain. I'm still in the alley rolling with the rest of the tin cans; this time Mr. Jimmy Smith is providing the music. I think I hear juke joint sounds in the back ground, it's about 2:AM and everybody is feeling good; we even got a harmonica, "laissez le bon ton roulet", let the good times roll, parlevu france.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utmgnjBavs0[/url]

Enjoy the music.
You make an important point with the connection of Jazz to clubs.   We should not forget that.

*****Laissez le bon ton roulet*****  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx2xEizhRfE

Cheers