Tonearms longer than 12 inches

I'm curious to hear anyone's speculations on the
future of tonearm developement. What could be improved ?
As well, what lengths could we reasonably expect to see
in a pivoting arm ? 14 inch ? 16 inch ?
noslepums
Dear hw:  """   you correct about those long Japanese arms, I have been quietly selling off my SAEC and my FR-66 and others because they just don't cut it anymore. Too many parts, too much metal, too much mass!! Really nice to look at though.... """"

I remember how proud was when I received my two long tonearms by SAEC ( we-8000 and 506/30 ). I t was a real " dream come through " for me and when I mounted and saw them my ( one after the other ) WOW's expressions where and makes me a happy audiophile  as never before. Every time one of my audio friends were at my place every one of them always had the same WOW! expresions.

Now ( time latter. ) when I learned, can understand that that WOW! was the clasic WOW! that always gives the  ignorance. That's ( today )  similar to that WOW! when we are in front of a " 300 kg. " turntables, just real audio ignorance and whealty pockets: nothing more.

SAEC, FR and many other vintage tonearms and some of the today ones are only ignorance WOW's! and reflects our audiophile level and always I said that's nothing wrong with that because we like it and we like different kind of distortions with different distortion levels.

I remember the Dr. Sao Win   recomendation in his LOMC cartridge manual: don't use a tonearm with knife bearing type ( SAEC use it. ) and look for extremely stable bearing tonearm during play. His answer to me was to avoid unipivots and I think is right but the best judgment about is the one each one has on the overall subjects.

Where are my SAEC, FR, MS, Audiocraft and others long tonearms?, I don't really know but are not with me. 

What I can tell any one is that I learned and still learning each single day.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear friends: Speaking of Helius tonearms bdp24 posted:  """  He feels 10" is the best compromise, and is the length he recommends. """

exist no single perfect audio item, the best one in any audio chain link is the one that's " the best compromise ". 

HW agree with that: """  That 10" distance is the magic number for 99% of my customers """.

Problem with that " best compromise " is if each one of us have the music/audio knowledge level to discern/to discriminate the right and precise " best compromise "  and this is the real challenge for any one of us.

HW: I, for sure,  am not that remaining " 1% of your customers " .

Now: ""  We are talking subtle, it is not gob smack in the face!!! It is a painstaking setup though and is probably not worth the energy in the end.  """

You are talking here of a very precise tonearm models where you are a real expert and even that you said: " subtle,.....and probaly not worth.... " and for me that's all.

Now, exist no single  but one post in the thread that supported/prefers the 12" but with out any single explanation.

Could be excellent for all of us to hear from this sigle gentleman and from other 12"+ owners their valuable opinions on this tonearm subject.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Hello Raul,  I'm mostly an accidental tourist with respect to tonearms, having owned only around 12 over the years.  Of late I have gravitated to the SME 3012R and compared this to a 11" Kuzma 4Point and a Micro Seiki 808X on the same turntable.  The 3012R and the 4Point have identical 14gm effective mass. The SME is arguably the best of the lot, and does great with both high and low compliance cartridges.  Maybe SME got it just right with the stainless steel wand.  I've heard that the R was more popular with Japanese audiophiles than the other versions, and to some surpasses even the IV and V.  The R delivers possibly the best neutrality and LF delineation I've heard.  Not the biggest bass, but perhaps the most well controlled and natural.

I don't understand why setting up a 12" arm should be more difficult than a shorter arm.  I've been careful to find precise pivot-to-spindle distance and use standard null points on a db protractor.

Regards,

Dave    

A 12" arm with its shallower arc is like a linear tracking arm that is set up wrong, it is wrong over larger parts of its travel then a shorter arm.  I don't hear the difference the math claims but I do a very precise setup.

My 12" 3D arms when set up properly have the smoothest upper midrange I have ever heard, rivaling the best linear tracking air bearing arms.  The one piece totally damped design with no small pieces sticking out all over really does not resonate and that makes a uni-pivot work even better.   HW

I had a Helius Orion...the worst arm I ever had. Had to go back to England many times to readjust/refurbish the bearings....I’d never again buy from this manufacturer.  I didn't care what it sounded like...didn't have it that much.