Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi Matt- you will be auditioning the new EMM Labs DA2?  The DA2 (and the DAC2x) convert PCM to DSD, right?

Is the new Chord DAVE on your radar?

- Josh
Hi Matt,  I read the pdf file on your burmester 911 mk3 amplifiers,  said nothing about class a/b, said a lot about being class A operation. 
Matt, what class D amps are you talking about?

You said they are better than A/B amps, but what about tubes?

i've been to countless shows (and I'll be at CES next week), so I'd like to check out any class D i may have missed.

I'm all for buying a class D amp if I can find one better than ARC Reference level tubes, but I haven't found any of these digital amps certain people claim "sound like tubes" yet.  Actually, none even close to that sound quality to my ears.  To me, they seem night and day different.

The closest thing class D I would buy at a certain budget range is the Lyngdorf which keeps everything digital until output and can provide room correction that provides a distinct advantage for many users.

The new Technics with CAT6 input and a LPS sounded promising too, but only the budget model had price commensurate with performance.

Otherwise, I can't recall any from recent shows.  If any digital amp should sound good, it would be Mola Mola given the pedigree of the designer. I can't say I was impressed with even their stuff, especially the price (to be fair though, it was limited exposure).

i always keep an open mind...errr...ear

Hi Labtec, if you go to CES, try to have a look at class D offerings from

* Rowland: possibly present might be

- Daemon superintegrated ($42K), 

- Continuum S2 integrated ($9.5K). Roy Gregory's review at: 

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/jeff_rowland_continuum_s2.htm

- M925 monos ($58K) - based on NCore NC1200,

- M825 stereo (approx $30K - based on NCore NC1200). Marc Michelson's review at: 

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/jeff_rowland_model_825.htm

- M625 S2 stereo (approx $15K - this one running in class A/B).

* Gato might show its newest integrated amps... I suspect you might enjoy more the one based on the Pascal M2-Pro than the S2-Pro version.

* Bel Canto should have its Black System, which is based on customized versions of the NCore NC1200 designed by Bruno Putzeys (approx $50K).

* On A Higher Note is likely to have once again the Mola Mola... It is a fine NCore NC1200 implementation, but you might find it a little forward for your taste.

* Hopefully, Merrill Audio will have its Veritas monos based on NCore ($12K). My review at:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68/merrill_audio.htm

* Devialet also makes fine class D integrated amps.... I find them a little too peaky for my taste, but my memory is of a 3 years ago, and they are likely to have evolved since then.

So where does the EMMLabs DA2 fit in the with the EMM line with the XDS1/V2 cd player? Is the DA2 a new, better DAC than the one in the XDS1? It sounds that way...
I would think a new cd player would be next if this is so.