Tube preamp for under $3000

I am looking for some suggestions for a tube pre to mate with my Pass 250.5 amp and Ascendo C8 Renaissance speakers. I would like it to lean toward the tube sound side. Any suggestions?
Ag insider logo xs@2xpal
"BAT is the worst sounding......Dry, unemotional, and very forgettable highs. On the other hand (and I'm speaking of the 6H30 based BAT's) "

Funny, that is exactly the opposite of the feedback I've received from many members of my local audio club. Paired with a van den Hul Colibri/VPI, Lamm amps, Nola speakers I've been told that treble (e.g. solo violin) is some of the most lifelike many've heard.

The point is so many of these conclusions need to be taken in the context of the system. In most systems I've heard the BAT preamps would err towards the darker, slightly warmer sound hence being a good match with neutral transparent gear like the Colibri. YMMV Cheers,
Spencer
There is an Audio Horizons 2.3 just listed at $2075.An absolute steal at this price.I owned a 2.2 for many years and it easily bested Calypso,Mod wright,Cary,Sonic Frontiers.
Emotionally immediate from the moment it is powered up,It has a touch of romance and naturalness that are only heard in the best of tubes.

"The point is so many of these conclusions need to be taken in the context of the system."

Point taken, I hear they sound a lot better partnered with their own amplifiers too.

I choose Manley Labs pre amp over BAT, Modwright, Mcintosh, Primaluna, over all these the BAT was so bad, I couldn't listen to my system at all. And it ran hot as hell!  

Regards,

Matt M 

BAT only sounds as good as its front end tubes (6H30 in my case).

My VK-300SE doesn't shine unless NOS 6H30s are used ($600/pr from BAT).