Schiit Bifrost Multibit option

Just seen this new option/upgrade and wondered if anyone has tried it yet?

Thanks
williewonka
Well, after 11 days continuous burn-in the 4490 has provided an exceptional improvement in SQ and is providing the most cohesive reproduction I've ever experienced on my system.

All aspects of fidelity, i.e. timing, image, spatial accuracy, dynamics, clarity, and details have exceeded my expectations for a $70 upgrade. Only leaves me wondering what the Multibit is capable of.

Comparing the Uber Upgrade board to the 4490 reveals a remarkable similarity in the components used and their placement - I would guestimate 90% the same - which leads me to believe that the Uber Upgrade is also included.

If you are considering 4490 upgrade I can highly recommend it :-)

Regards...
Just got the bifrost multibit.  Had no experience with the original bifrost/uber.  Came from a John Kenny jkdac32 which I enjoyed, but the battery gave up the ghost.

Keep in mind, this is after a week of ownership, so this is more impressions, rather than hard statements.

Overall, it’s near-edgelessly detailed, stages well, has decent but not bone crushing bass energy, and really very listenable.  Compared to my memory of my jkdac32, it has a noticable amount of extra midrange sheen which comes across as extra energy, which can be good or bad, and sounds more precise without crossing over into overanalytical.  Again, very listenable.

Compared to my jkdac, it doesn’t sound as "analog" , but the bass is tighter, and the music carries more energy.  Doesn’t have as much bite or grunt as my old benchmark dac 1, but doesn’t sound as thin, either.  Compared to every dac based on the sabre 9018 chip I’ve heard or owned (w4s benchmark dac2, wadia 121, oppo 105), it sounds more engaging, without sounding less polite.  The sabre 9018 chip always sounded a bit mechanical and restrained to my ears, but is articulately inoffensive, and the Bifrost Multi seems to give me what I liked about the sabre 9018 dacs, but with more passion and solid energy.

Someone else in this thread said it reminded them of a Theta, which funny enough, I owned a Theta years ago, and he’s kinda right.  Theta had more prominent midbass, and the Schiit untangles the highs far better, but I actually thought of that exact same dac the third day I listened to the Multi.  Something about the energy music has coming out of both is very similar...engaging and alive, in a fun way. It’s funny someone else made the exact same parallel.  It’s very distinct.  I hadn’t heard another dac like that Theta...now suddenly, I get to hear something like it every time I listen to music.

Word of warning.  The break in on this product is the 2nd worst I’ve ever experienced in any piece of audio gear I’ve ever owned.  The sound goes from overly composed out of the box, to completely shrill and unlistenable in six hours.  Takes about 48 hours to find it’s sound.  Might still be smoothing out still, or I might be getting more used to it, I don’t know, but a week later, I really like it.  But there were times in that first day I went from absolutely loving it, to wanting to pack it back up and ship it back as fast as I could.

Kinda rambled on here a bit, figuring more is better than less, but the short of it for me is this; it’s the real deal.  It certainly doesn’t sound like other sub 1000 dollar dac’s i’ve heard, and I mean that in a good way.  I’m not in love with it, the way I’m in love with my fallen jkdac32, but I like it a whole lot more than I hoped I would, and more than any other dac I’ve heard in a while.

Backgroundblur - some questions (sort of)....

1. are you using the power cable that came with the DAC? - the Bifrost really ups its game with a good power cable :-)
  2. are you using the USB port? - I upgraded to the new Gen 2 USB, but on a whim I tried a v-link192 USB-SPDIF converter - the improvements were nothing short of amazing - seems Schiit has a lot of work to do on their USB Interface
  3. What interconnects are you using? - the Bifrost rounds out its game with the selection of really good IC's

You are right about burn-in - I've had the 4490 installed for about a month and it's taken most of that time to really settle

I upgraded to the 4490 and could not believe the improvement in details, image, clarity and punch - the multibit is supposed to be even better.

The "analogue feel" should come over time, but it takes around 200-300 hours of playing for it to get close - 300-500 hours and it will start to "fill out" very nicely.

I listen to classical and for the first little while the upper register of the violins and high notes from sopranos could be very shrill - not any longer - just incredibly rich, full bodied and very detailed.

I did think about the Multibit upgrade, but figure I'll wait until I upgrade to the Gungnir :-)

Enjoy.

Willie

I usually go stock on things till a month or so., but I tired a shunyata and a pangea on it to see how responsive it is to upgrades, and they make a difference, but I'm gonna let it burn in Stock till I settle into what I'm looking to improve.  I've ran cards golden cross, audioquest emerald x3, and acoustic zen into it, and like the golden cross best so far.

Really, I have no complaints.   It's a very good dac.  Better than most I've heard.  Liking it more everyday.