Amp recommendation in the $6000 range

After being out of the hobby for a few years I'm now looking for a used amp in the 6K range to drive my Magico V3, I had interest in a Pass Labs X350.5 but with this model out for 10 years I don't think it would be a wise investment. I'm looking mainly at solid state stereo amps but is open to tubes and other ideas. My other requirement is I do like power, so at least 150 watt for tube, 200 watt for SS. Thanks in advanced.
scar972
to me the .8 is all positive. I had the 250, 250.5 and the 250.8 just broken in. I mostly find great accuracy, more natural timbre, more openness. Also better bass definition.  All who heard my system prefer the .8   I sometimes wonder if the more natural timbre sounds less exciting during a brief listen
If you are still using the Audio Valve Eklipse preamp listed in your system description, I would certainly expect the Pass .8 series to be preferable to the .5 series, as the input impedances of the .5 amps are too low to be optimal matches to the output impedance characteristics of that preamp.

See the second paragraph on this page, in which John Atkinson's measurements indicate that deep bass performance will be compromised if that preamp is asked to drive an input impedance of less than 30K.  The Pass .5 amps have specified input impedances of 30K balanced/15K unbalanced, but since per JA's comments your preamp outputs an unbalanced signal on its XLR connector I believe it would be seeing a 15K load even if you connected via a balanced XLR cable.

The Pass .8 series amps have specified input impedances of 50K unbalanced/100K balanced, which would be fine.

Also, the MC402 which was suggested earlier has an input impedance of 10K unbalanced/20K balanced, which is too low to be suitable.

Finally, although Audio Research hasn't been mentioned, be aware that many of their balanced amps which provide only XLR inputs will not work properly unless provided with a balanced pair of signals on their XLR connectors, which the Audio Valve preamp will not provide.  The same caveat MIGHT apply to some other balanced amps which only provide XLR inputs.

Good luck as you proceed.  Regards,
-- Al

Thanks for pointing that out Al, I will take that into consideration.
As mentioned previously I've had the X250.5 before and liked the synergy which is why I'm wondering X350.5. 

AL, why are you stating amplifier input specs? The original post was for a AMP recommendation, I assumed the poster would purchase a pre amp that would match the amp. The bottom line is the MAC 402 will drive the speakers mentioned in the original post no problem. That is what I was responding to, where is the original poster asking about pre amp and amp combos?? LOL.

Matt M

Hi Matt,

There has been no indication in the thread that the OP has purchased or will be purchasing a replacement for the Audio Valve preamp that is listed in his system description. Therefore, while the question that was posed relates to selection of a power amp that would be a good match for the OP’s Magico speakers, it seems appropriate to point out that some amps which may be good matches for those speakers will not be good matches for that preamp.

Regards,
--Al