Review: Merlin Music Systems Merlin TSM-MMI Monitor

Category: Speakers

Summary:
Price Paid $0.00

Summary:
This is a review of the new TSM-MMI Merlin Speakers. I have previously auditioned a pair of Merlin TSM-SE speakers. I am biamping the speakers using a pair of Cary Rocket 88 power amps, a Rega P9 table, a Rega IOS phono section and a Cary preamp. I have about 100hrs playing time on the speakers. The speakers have been placed using Bobby's setup instructions. The TSM-MMI are much more transparent than the older model, although the older speaker is still a very transparent speaker. The amount of detail I am hearing is unbelievable. The bass that is reproduced is very tight and true sounding. I can not believe how low the bass can go for this size of a speaker. I have listened to a lot high end speakers and the new Merlins reproduce the music as accurate as the best of them. I can highly recommend the speakers to anyone who wants a pair of speakers that reproduce the music the way it should be reproduced.

Pros-Great company support, build quality, great musical presentation, at $3100 easily outperform speakers many times the price, making them a great value.

Cons-None at this time, wished I had bought them earlier
lbret
Oh no, what has Merlin done…..what are all the Merlin TSM/VSM-M, MM, Mx, Mme, Mxe owners going to do now knowing that their speakers are NOT upgradeable to the new series due to different cabinet material and internal structural changes?
brf, they simply do the upgrades that can be done to their speakers, to make them as good as they can be. not everyone has to have the latest but if they must...
best, b
One of the greatest appeals of Merlin was their upgradability. It was only a matter of time until Merlin found a better cabinet material and internal construction design which would result in the end of the upgrade path for older versions. I guess you can’t get in way of progress, but at least Merlin had a good 10 year run with their 2nd generation cabinet construction.
IHO, previous upgrades have been baby steps, but this latest change along with the Master Bam and Network upgrade looks to be a giant step forward. I am very interested in hearing the new design.
brf, thank you.
the 3 combined are certainly significant in what they do.
next stop is denver and the rmaf. if you are there come by for a visit.
best,
b
Actually, Bobby's products have been upgradable, to his credit. There comes a time when that's no longer possible--that was inevitable. However, given the Merlin reputation, selling and buying the new version probably wouldn't cost that much more, I'm thinking. Either way, you know you'll be getting a dramatically better product.

Larry