Any suggestions for good obscure music?

Category: Speakers

Doesn't have to be too obscure. But I'm looking for some new stuff to listen to. Good music that's well recorded by someone I haven't heard of. Any suggestions?
If anyone is interested I would suggest a compilation disc titled "A Nod to Bob" on Red House Records. This is a tribute to Bob Dylan by artists on the Red House label. Not one bad rendition on the cd. Although they were all written by Dylan, there are a few I hadn't heard before.
I've purchased several cds by artists found on this disc and have yet to be disappointed. I'm listening to Greg Brown "Covenant" now. He's one of the artists on the Nod to Bob. Great stuff with wonderful sonics.
timrhu
WILLIAM LEE ELLIS "God's Tattoos", producet by James Dickinson (Yellow Dog Records) and CHRIS COTTON's "I Watched the Devil Die"
Lou Reed is married to a avant garde Artist and Musician named Laurie Anderson - she has a lot of records but I love Mister Heartbreak especially Sharkey's Day & Sharkey Night-- William Buroughs of Naked Lunch Fame reads some of the cryptic lyrics and Laurie adds lots of layers of sounds over her electric Violin. When I saw her Andy Warhol was there.

Rain Dogs by Tom Waits is another Favorite. "Rain Dog"s" is way way out there and Keith Richards is all over the place as well as Robert Quinne the guitar player from the Voidoids a true master of Kaotic ectasy and a high wire act.

If you like Country the original soundtrack to Ned Kelly has lryics by Shel Siverstein with Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings and Mick Jagger him self.
Ned Kelly was an austrailian outlaw and Shel Silverstein tells the story in a twisted kind of way

Best to you this Christmas

Groovey Records

Listening to Laurie Anderson Mr. Heartbreak WB 25077
Hey Groovey = You hit on two of my all time favorites: Sharkey's Day - If you haven't yet, check out Laurie's collection titled, "You're the Guy I Want to Share my Money With", including a couple by Buroughs. Hard to find, and more spoken pieces than musical, but if you like Buroughs his contributions are amusing here as well. For more conventionally accessible Anderson tunes I'd recommend "Bright Red" - her stuff is great!

I'm also a big Tom Waits fan and Rain Dogs along with Swordfishtrombone are right at the top of my list.

I've got one for you given you're tastes here...this may be pushing it a bit as it's dark material, but have you heard Woven Hand? I've recently been listening to their CD "Blush Music"....they take the Bill Withers tune, "Ain't no Sunshine when She's Gone", and turn it into an apocolyptic dirge with sound loops that'll make you want to string up a noose. Not for everyone...not for many...but I am strangely drawn to it.

You know, I can see two tiny pictures of myself And there's one in each of you eyes. And they're doin' everything I do. Every time I light a cigarette, they light up theirs. I take a drink and I look in and they're drinkin' too. It's drivin' me crazy. It's drivin' me nuts.
-Anderson/Buroughs

Marco
Post removed