Review: DECWARE HDT206EM Speaker

Category: Speakers

FEATURES

The cabinet design offers superior performance over standard reflex enclosures in both linearity and imaging. It has many of the advantages of a horn loudspeaker with none of the drawbacks. Interestingly enough it works best with drivers designed for horn loading. Equipped with our modified Fostex FE206E full range drivers, these High Definition Towers have the following features:

High efficiency of 96dB with 1 watt at 1 meter.
Excellent power handling up to 30 watts RMS.
Single Point source.
Decware modified FE206E Fostex full range 8 inch driver.
New Decware Phase Guide Technology.
No crossovers of any kind.
Wired straight through to the back.
Less then 12 inches of hookup wire.
Cliff 24K 8 gauge 5-way binding posts.
No parallel surfaces inside cabinet.
Dual side firing passive radiators.
Vertical transmission line.
Top mounted dispersion plate.
Internal coupling chambers.
Three internal and one external reflex ports.
An internal averaging chamber.
No internal rear wave reflection problems.
Wave front propagation from 5 sides of the cabinet.
Anti-resonant cabinet construction - very dead.
Available in genuine hardwoods.

CABINET

These features are in primarily due to an esoteric multi-chamber cabinet where each chamber has it own resonance followed by a group resonance from the other chambers. Careful tuning creates an enclosure with tuning across several octaves. Normal cabinets are tuned at a single frequency and damp the woofer across one octave with the maximum control at the tuning frequency. This cabinet adds this control at multiple points so similar to a horn, the tuning of the cabinet changes in relation to the music played through it.

SOUND

They sound fast, flat, controlled, very open, and holographic. The do not sound dry, bloated, pinched, tipped up in the treble, beamy, nor do they have any of the typical high efficiency shout made famous by other high efficiency single driver loudspeakers. The bass is very controlled and extended below 40 Hz.

AMPLIFICATION

Recommended amplification is between 1.8 ~ 30 watts. Impedance is 8 ohms. I am using 3 1/2 watts.

Many of my observations are a dito of the findings of the many reviews and listings on the DECWARE site.

These are replacing speakers costing $ 17,000.00. I am sure you may think that I have lost my ears. Just take time to listen to these sonic Jewels and I am sure your findings will be simuliar to mind. I am told that 3 or 4 months down the road they will sound much better. Sounds like I will a lot to look forward to next year!

Associated gear
MY CURRENT SYSTEM
= LOW POWER =

AUDIO AERO MKII

THETA CARMEN I

AGAPE 3 1/2 WATT AMPLIFIER

DECWARE HRC SPEAKERS

SUPRA 6’ POWER CORDS
(Tonain Labs)

ARGENT PURSANG
(speaker cables)

CHINESE INTERCONNECT/ Custom Made

Similar products
Products that I have owned.

MAGNAPAN I,II,III,IV's

Beverage Model IV

Vandersteen 1b, 2ce, IVa

Watt Puppies, 3, 6

Duntech 2001 Sovereign

Kharma 2, 1.0 Ceremique

Klipsh Corner Horns

Martin Logan, Von Schweikert, Sound Lab, KLH, JM Labs, just name a few. These are speakers that I have owned, Not something I saw somewhere.
intrepid47
Can you mention the kind of music (perhaps some specific discs) you listen to with these speakers?