Review: Merlin Music Systems vsm-mx Speaker

Category: Speakers

This is a review of Merlin Music's VSM-MX loudspeaker.First
let me say that i have have know Bobby Palkovic for almost 20 years.I worked for him at Merlin Music from 86 to 96 before moving to northern virginia.I respect him very much as a person and as an engineer/designer.His dedication to building the best speaker systems at any price is something to behold and i thank him for it.

My system is made up of a pair of stunning piano black VSM-MX's,a Music Reference RM9 MK2 amp,Joule Electra LA-150 line stage,Cardas Golden Reference interconnects and speaker cables and a Rega Jupiter 2000 cd player( soon to be used as a transport only.The MX's have been in my system for about a month now and they replaced the M version of the speaker. My room measures 19'L x 13'W x 13'H.The speakers are placed 42.5" from the side walls to the center of the woofers and are 57.5" from the back wall to the front of the speaker. They are 5'10" apart measured to the center of the woofers.

My taste in music runs from jazz,rock,classical to progressive.The recordings i use for testing are just ones that iam most familar with.I use Chris Isaak,Norah Jones,Moya Brennan,Mark Knopfler,Clannad, Sarah McLachlan and others.

The Merlin VSM-MX's are a speaker that has not a hint of glare. It is not bright sounding nor wiry sounding.It has a glorious midrange that is rich and full and the highs are silky smooth and extended.The imaging and staging are fantastic.The speaker justs disappears within the music.The listener is treated to tremendous resolution and layering of the music. The bass is very well defined and fast never ponderous or bloated sounding. So do not let a 6.5 inch woofer scare you off.It offers plenty of punch down to 28 hz.The music is never forced and it is presented in a relaxed way never fatiguing. You will find yourself listening for hours on end to old cd's that you thought where unlistenable in the past.This speaker justs reaches out and grabs you and will not let go from low volumes to high ones.It never sounds stressed.What this speaker offers is a neutral tonal balance.You hear the music just as it was intended to heard and isn't that what it is all about?

Thanks Bobby for making listening to music enjoyable again!!!

Rob walters.
rob_walters
Bobby,
Thanks for the help on this one. The source would be a Levinson 390s CD/pre-amp, Ensemble Dynaflux XLR interconnects and Pegasus(now called Phoenix) speaker cables from Shunyata.
sitting distance would be about 8-9' from center of speaker line - speakers could be up to 2' from back wall.
Does this sound like the MX's would do well in this environment ?
Thanks, Larry
the presentation would be smooth, clear and sligthly lean imho. to be honest, the mm might still sound better with this product mix because it is slighlty less centered in the mids and is slightly fuller in the deep bass. this would tend to counter balance the sound of your cables to a degree.
if you do not mind me asking, what speakers are you using now?
and what are your sound preferences?
thanks,
b
Bobby,
Would you mind if I emailed you off line or called you ? Please email me directly with a number or your email address.
Thanks, Larry
yes of course you can contact me.
you can call me at the office at 585 367 2390 or e-mail me at [email protected].
i will be in my office today saturday the 20th and sunday the 21st for a period of time.
thanks,
b