Maggies on my mind.

Category: Speakers

There I was, minding my own business, when I innocently went into my favorite audio shop to just chat and look at the goodies. I sat down in the listening room and heard a used (albeit sold) pair of Maggie 1.5s. Oh, SH*T! WHAT a sound! It was addicting. Wide soundstage, no boxiness ... I felt like I was right on the bandstand. Holy moly! My friend suggested that I listen to the 1.6s since the 1.5 was discontinued. The 1.6s were heard through a Levinson integrated and Rega Planet 2000. They sounded nothing like the 1.5s ... collapsed soundstage, thin, uninvolving, boring and very directional. Maybe it was the electronics, I dunno (you'd figure a Levinson integrated would do a great job, n'est ce pas?). The 1.5s (heard through a Musical Fidelity rig) were simply intoxicating ... I WANTED to O.D. on 'em. I went home to listen to my B&W N804s and heard "the box" for the first time. I am now sorely depressed. Those 1.5s were just magical (albeit way big for my room). Sigh!
rlb61
Levinson/proceed don't go well with maggies at all! I allways here what you are describing with that combo. Now stop talking about maggies- I'm currently trying to restrain from listening to them again and save some money.
It's NOT the 1.6's for sure.Mine run off tubes and both vinyl and CD's have me intoxicated daily.Probably not set up right - at least 3ft space around them and really small changes to get that last 'perfect' position.But THEN WOW !!
Don't be worry about small rooms-just 3ft behind them.The
WAF will change when you play her favorite music and her feet start moving and toes tapping.Dancing also helps(smile)
Used for $1k is THE BEST.Period
ML 383 sounded thin, grainy and uninvolving with my Maggie 1.6s. Plinius 8200MKII is much better.