My latest find. What's yours?

Category: Music

I love browsing the music stores, looking for something new and interesting. I admit, the percentages are not good, buying cds unheard. I read reviews and browse through the racks losing track of time. It is so rewarding when I find that gem. The reason for this post is my latest find, my new favorite cd. Wow! Kenny Barron and Regina Carter, title, "Firefall", on Verve, 314 549 706-2. It's a jazz recording of piano and violin. Five star performance and sonics. There is a version of Sting's "Fragile" that is out of this world. The bass notes on piano are startling. There are also tracks by Monk, Wayne Shorter and Oscar Hammerstein.

Just to be clear, this is anything but lounge music. It is original, different and inspiring. If anyone takes a chance, I would love to hear your impressions.

Also, what recordings have you come accross, that make all those duds worthwhile?
blbloom
Townes van Zandt "A Far Cry From Dead" - great band behind him, and "Live in Berlin" - not in the greatest of voice but a keeper nonetheless. Used at CDPlus for $20 Canbucks.
Mark Lanegan----Field Songs---nice acoustic,atmospheric modern blues from the guy who used to sing in the Screaming Trees.
Harold Budd-Luxa-had this for a few years but had forgotten how great it was-piano based ambient music-beautiful.
Lift To Experience-The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads--Texan trio only able to get a record contract in the UK(Bella Union)--far out guitar based independant rock with strong quieter melodic moments and songs-double concept CD-- that Texas is the new Jerusalem...kid you not......

Ben
Sorry, Blbloom, but I tried the Barron/Carter Freefall and do not care for it. Sound is very good, but the content just leaves me bored. I do like a lot of jazz, but mostly older stuff, or new stuff in the bop mode. I'm sure others will make a better connection, but I cannot recommend it.

So as to not offer only negative comments, my suggestion of a recent find, sonically and for content of more mainstream but still original music, is Jimmy Smith's "dot com blues". Way cool, swinging jazzy blues. These days, I keep only about one of every three CD's I buy. This is a keeper.
Mine is the group Galactic, specifically their release titled Crazyhorse Mongoose. They're sort of a jazz/funk sound. Recording quality is excellent and the music is just flat out fantastic.
I have found a group that plays kind of original rock and roll. ballads, to slide guitar to humerous lyrics. I started out with one and now have them all> The group is the Hosty Trio out of Norman OK (go sooners kicked seminole's butt) Can order from hosty.com. The cd's are all great music that can be listened to over and over. The cd 10lb hammer is country (be warned) I reallly dont like country but this is the funniest stuff you have ever heard.
Better get soon because hosty trio is now the hosty duo. Take a chance you will be glad you did.