DIY silver speaker cable is great

Category: Cables

Fairly "cheap" too if you go for .999 silver wire.

Improvement to everything except bass is lacking, but I fix it somewhat by doubling the wire to the LF part.
coli
Been there, done that with stacked, teflon-insulated silver foils totaling 8-10 AWG. It sounds great and doesn't suffer any lack of LF.

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=cables&n=165056&highlight=silver+foil+speaker+cables&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fforum%3Dcables%26searchtext%3Dsilver%2Bfoil%2Bspeaker%2Bcables

IME, a final destination speaker cable at $800 cost of goods plus a long afternoon. Factor in an 8-10x COGs multiplier for an equivalent commercial product.

I don't have stacked foils - but very wide silver foil 1.25" by 8 thou' thick, so that's 0.01 sq inches which is about 9 AWG.

I just mummy wrap the individual foils with wide Teflon tape, put them back-to-back, and mummy wrap that with more Teflon tape. No connectors - just a bit of Origami at the ends and cut a notch with a pair of scissors.

99.99% pure silver.

No lack of bass weight here - Lamm ML 2.1 SETs into Coincident Super Eclipses.

Regards,
I use 99.99 bare wire silver for speaker wires and one power cord and the results are excellent -- at a fraction of the cost of commercial cables.