No cartridge is good enough.

It appears that even the very best can't extract everything from the groove. Yes, along with table/arm.
Is there any way, theoretically speaking, to take cartridge design and execution to a much higher level?
What about laser instead of cartridge/arm? I know there was/is one company that tried. It didn't sound better and required cleaning records before each play. But laser could be improved. This approach didn't take off, it would seem.
inna
Inna, glad you are trolling here so the big boys can lay down some history and knowledge. The ELP system was failure IIRC, reviewers stated it never worked very well, thus its limited popularity in hifi circles.
If one is sincere about wanting to hear a direct-to-disc LP, they are available. Why expect someone else to send you one? Weird.
If ELP had been a failure it would have no popularity in HIFI circles at all.
I know that there are direct to disc records, but since Atmasphere is so sure with words, I want to hear his recordings and his records.
Dear Inna: I heard the lasser LP player and there is nothing that could makes me trying to hear it again. 

""  Vinyl was never supposed to be an audiophile medium but tape was """

well as you said to Atmasphere you have to prove your statement too and certainly all of us will be exited and waiting for. Can you do it?

Btw seems to me ( I can't be sure. ) that you are a music lover and an audiophile and for sure you own thousands of LP's, correct? if yes then is obvious you own 3-4 D2D Sheffield Labs LP's: right? 
Now in order to have an idea how to help you ( and what you are looking for. ) I would like to know and be appreciated that you give us details of your whole audio system ( room condition, analog rig, electronics, speakers, cables, etc, etc. ) , your music/sound  reproduction priorities and where and why you are not satisfied enough with what you hear through it ( maybe you can name a D2D recording that you experienced in your system. ) and compared against what because there is no single audio system in the world that truly can mimic live music performance.

In the other side and I think I posted that exist no perfect medium and inside the medium nothing is absolute perfect: not magnetic cartridges, optical, strain gauge ( I heard all. ) and others.

Your whole answer be appreciated, thank's in advace.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

It appears that almost everyone who posts is happy with the traditional cartridge/tonearm design.
Lasers can be improved and they will be greatly improved in time. However, it is not very likely that this will be used for analog playback. We'll see.
As for tape/direct to disc recordings, to my regret I have neither equipment nor knowledge to conduct this comparizon experiment. But those in the industry do. If Atmasphere wants to undertake it, I'll applaud it.