Esoteric K-03X vs Accuphase DP-720

I’m looking for a new CD player to replace my 5.5 years old Esoteric X-03SE. I’m happy with my Esoteric but want to try something new, I only listen to contemporary Jazz music, about 80% musical instrument performance and 20% vocal (mainly female vocal). Esoteric K-01X seem to be over my budget, and now my target is Esoteric K-03X and Accuphase DP-720. May I know what is your choice between these two CDP?

PS: My thought is K-03X are using wonderful drive system, in the near future I can buy an external DAC to work with my Esoteric if I want to get another new sound. Yes, maybe Accuphase’ s transportation system is also good but not as good and famous as Esoteric’s VRDS-NEO drive mechanism.
mm622
I own the Esoteric KO3x, and very happy with it. being able to add a better clock/dac is a big plus. You can add your lap top direct to the KO3x for playing high rez down loads. The only down side to the KO3x is you can not run it direct to your amp, no volume control. With the older KO3 you could go direct to the amp. but it would not take your lap top direct. I do not think you can go wrong with a new KO3x.
enjoy Pete
Thanks for information! Now I’m using a Esoteric G-03X Master Clock with my old X-03SE CD Player, I wonder if the sound quality has any big improvement if I use my G-03X on a K-03X? This is because I heard K-03X’s internal clock is very good, even very near G-02 Master Clock. Some user said even they use the G-02 master clock on K-03X but can’t hear big difference. Is it correct?

Mm622 hi, do you listen to mainly Redbook cd's?

The reason I ask is that Redbook is PCM and to get "Bit Perfect" conversion the best way, is for it to converted using a Ladder Multibit dacs, which your Esoteric X-03 has, and the best ones at that the PCM1704's, which have been phased out recently because they are more than 10 x the price to manufacture than Delta Sigma dacs, and never to be seen again, only in discrete form with companies like MSB do with their $40K Diamond DAC V.

"ESOTERIC X-03 4 x PCM1704 – SM5847AF VRDS-NEO VMK-3.5-10 – SPU3162"

Sending a Redbook PCM digital signal to a Delta Sigma type dac ( which are in the Esoteric K-03X vs Accuphase DP-720 so they can do DSD and SACD) is taking a step backwards from what you already have for Redbook cd replay.

So saying this if you play mainly Redbook and have no interest in DSD or SACD. Stick with what you've got, which is one hell of a machine for Redbook CD replay.

I would kill to have your Esoteric X-03SE
Cheers George
Hi Georgelofi

Thanks a lot! Your information are very useful, I need to study and think about this. And yes, most of my CD are normal Redbook CD, I have very few SACD or HQCD. But since my Esoteric X-03SE is nearly 6 years old, I'm thinking to get a new machine. Also I think DSD is a trend, it will be more and more popular, that’s' why I'm interested in DP-720 and K-03X.