Speed Control for Basis 2800 Signature

Howdy,

Wondering if anyone has used something other the Basis Synchrowave for speed control over a prolonged period of time (ie 5+ years) on any of the 2000 series TTs. I believe they all use the same motor. As much as I would love a Syncrhowave, it's out of my budget right now and speed on the table is way off. Any isights will be greatly appreciated.
128x128moryoga
Hi,

The Synchrowave runs both phases of the motor resulting in less vibration of the synchronous motor. It also allows you to adjust the speed however I do not know if it can correct speed while the turntable is running.

One method of correcting speed is the superbly designed items by Bill Carlin of Phoenix Technologies. http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/page_products
If you purchased the Falcon and the Roadrunner you would get for a modest sum of money excellent speed control and would solve the speed problem. Please ask Bill if what I have suggested works for you. Just mention that Dickson from Hong Kong suggested you get in touch. He is a fabulous guy to deal with and his designs are truly excellent.

Unfortunately he never released a dual phase design commercially. I did manage to purchase a one off dual phase prototype from him which together with the Roadrunner (which reads out the speed) does everything the Basis Synchrowave is designed to do but with the addition of correcting speed control once every revolution. IMHO I think Bill's dual phase design is unbeatable however it is not a product for commercial release as you would need to rewire your motor. If you don't know what you're doing this can lead to electrical shock and possible electrocution.

Nonetheless using just a Falcon and Roadrunner will get you almost spot on for speed with the Basis motor albeit minus the decreased vibration associated with controlling both phases of the motor. You cannot go wrong with purchasing these items from Bill.

Hope this helps.
The speed should not be way off without an outboard controller. Contact Basis and they will assist you. The company is very serious about customer service. Good luck.
Just as a PS, I know that people have used the Walker controller successfully with Basis, but I still think you shouldn't be way off without one.
Hi Dickson. I'll definitely reach out to Bill and see what he thinks and thanks Chayro as well, I've put in a call to AJ but haven't heard back from him yet.

As far as rewiring the motor, what's a little shock and electrocution when the end result is a perfectly locked in rpm and the music is sounding good :)
I use a Walker Precision Speed Controller with excellent results. I used a VIP controller previously, the Walker was a big improvement. Walkers can be found for around $900 used.