Best SACD: Modwright OPPO vs Esoteric X03 series?

There seem to be about 5 of each available on Audiogon right now for about $3k +/- $300. I can maybe stretch my budget and lay my hands on cash in few days. In the mean time, I need to decide which type is likely to sound better. I am running a hodge-podge system made from a few 'over achievers' and a lot of attention to detail. Amps are 600w D-Sonic and the preamp is a W4S STP buffered passive. Speakers are 6.1 Genesis and most of my cabling is from Kaplan or his new Waevform Fidelity. I have no chance to audition either model as the Milwaukee area is kind of an audiophile dessert, and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has.
mcbuddah
Hi guys, let me give some input....I just bought oppo Modwright...List $4605....bought the Demo unit that was used at last show...$3500... I will not be setting up for a while but I did take out the power supply just 2 take a look....n it did put a smile on my face....quite a ps in a separate... I think we all know what that means....Reasons I bought this unit...I wanted tubes n a great power supply...I wanted 2 be able 2 call n talk 2 the owner or maker on the phone anytime I wanted....which I have done with Dan Wright for a few years....I did ask about the transport....he said he has never had any problem with the oppo transports....I asked him if he could service the unit for a new transport if ever needed or anything else...Dan said yes he would order transport from oppo n do the work himself....plus anything else I would like...That in a nutshell means a lot 2 me....knowing I can send 2 him n everything will be taken care....Don't get me wrong I do not expect 2 have any problems with the unit...............

Now let me say this....I have been buying high end equipment for a longtime....Don't let the name of ur equipment fool you....I bought brand ML $6,000 cd player n ML $6,000 Power amp and had problems with both of them.... plus McIntosh preamp n poweramp in the past..............

I expect the Oppo Modwright 2 sound great...just like I would expect the esoteric 2 sound great....but just remember guys CD Players are replaced as soon as there is a new upgrade...get the point?.....plus esoteric has had there problems with there units including there transports ....n You won't be able 2 pickup a phone n call Dan Wright and tell him ur sending it 2 him 2 make it new again....Get the point......?
Henrycai,

Everything you said makes sense. You do leave out one important point. What happens if Dan Wright isn't around anymore. At least if you buy from one of the major high end companies more than likely they will be around tomorrow. Even if the owner dies they usually have someone primed to take over the company. When I purchase high end audio that is always a major consideration for me.
LOL...Dan is in his early 40s...but I am sure there our people who work for him that can service his equipment n make make a living doing so....this has been done before in the past...I now have Passlabs equipment n feel the same way
about there's.....But I really do not worry about that 2 be honest....lets face it I might not be here tomorrow...does mean I shouldn't buy anything lol...that's not my mindset...I think I cover most of my bases when I buy equipment.....by the way another unit I had 2 return was a Ayre poweramp.... the people who are honest with themselves know what I am saying...I am not trying 2 bad mouth anyone brand....but what I am trying 2 point out is QC is not good enough in most Brands....Be well
Taters, not necessarily. Many an established high end audio company which have either changed hands or closed shop no longer support legacy products. For example, Infinity Systems no longer provide any technical support or parts for legacy speakers after the Harmon takeover. They even removed specs off their site. And there is a long bucket list of established high end audio companies which have closed the doors. Going with an established high end brand like Boulder, Vitus or Magico is certainly a safer bet that a business based around modding gear, though as with Infinity Systems, there are no guarantees.