Any comments on DAC directly to Power amp with no

Do you have any comments of running a DAC directly to power amplifier with no preamp? I can think of several advantages to not using a preamp but would really like your opinion, since, it seems, many of us are opting to go direct these days.

For example, let us assume the DAC goes straight into the power amp's XLR inputs; the DAC's volume control is digital, runs in 32 bits (or 24bits) and is very well implemented.

I have been told that some users do not like the idea of running a volume control well down in its range so use fixed attenuators but many have reported a loss of SQ in the process. Others have stated that they prefer the sound through a preamp stage. And, as expected, others state the sound quality is improved when the preamp is eliminated.

I hope to test these options, with and without the pre-amp, shortly and am interested in hearing about your experiences.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.
hgeifman
Congratulations on obtaining the Bricasti M1, much good has been said and written about it. Your Luxman likely has a fine preamp section and that's why you preferred its inclusion in the signal path. It's good to know that you trust your ears.
I have been researching and thinking about going from my Bricasti M1 DAC direct to my power amp with no pre-amp for a while. It seems everyone has a different opinion on this complex subject. As many people above have already suggested, you never know the “answer" until you listen for your self with your system and room.

I borrowed the Hypex NCore NC400 Audio Power Amplifier Regular Mono Block and connected my Bricasti M1 DAC direct (no pre-amplifier) to the Hypex Ncore NC400 and listened. After several hours of listening, I have decided that, for me, going direct from the DAC to power amplifier sounds great to my ears. In addition, in my opinion, the Hypex NCore NC400 Audio Power Amplifier Regular Mono Block sounds better than my Luxman L-590ax integrated amplifier.

I ordered the Hypex NCore NC400 Audio Power Amplifier Regular Mono Block from from James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC. He was very helpful in answering my many questions about the Hypex NCore NC400 power amplifier ($1,900). See:

http://jamesromeyn.com/#/home-audio-gear/hypex-ncore-nc400-build-service-on-time-or-free-build/

My new Ncore power amplifier should arrive in about two weeks and I will return the loaner to my friend.
Correction: I changed my mind and cancelled my order for the Ncore NC400. Please keep reading.

INSTEAD, I ordered two new Hypex NCore NC400 BTL (Bridged Tied Load) mono blocks, Hypex SMPS1200 (1200W) power supply (same as NC1200 power supply), Siliconray chassis "RE-2507-NC" same as Stereo chassis, top panel cooling vents, Neutrik gold contact XLR fully balanced input only, natural brushed aluminum faceplate (no logo), rear panel toggle switch near top (up = play, down = input mute/4W idle), 8.5 lbs/ea.

I discussed this with James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC and decided it was worth the extra money to get the bridged Ncore mono bridged block amplifiers. I m expecting the new Hypex mono blocks in about 2+ weeks.
I connected my new Hypex NCore NC400 Bridged mono block class D power amplifiers to my Bricasti M1 DAC direct (no pre-amp) and my system sounds terrific. The combination of the Bricasti M1 DAC & the Hypex NCore bridged power amplifiers mono blocks sound more natural, clearer, have more bass, a lack of noise, excellent dynamics and details. Another layer of sound is presented WITHOUT THE pre-amplifier in the system.  The Hypex NCore bridged mono block class D power amplifiers are highly recommended.  I also tested the Hypex NCore mono blocks and feel the bridged version (4 NCore 400 amps, 2 on each side) is well worth the extra money based on the improved sound quality I am hearing.

After conversations with Bricasti, Hypex & James (James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC), we decided to remove the R141 (circuit) from my Hypex NCore NC400 bridged mono blocks, thus lowering gain by 14 dB, requiring 14 dB higher M1 volume setting for same playback level. Bricasti says the goal is to have the M1 CLOSE to 0db front panel attenuation. If you reduce the volume on the M1 DAC, you cause more bit reduction meaning you lose sound quality. When you connect the Bricasti M1 DAC to a power amplifier, you have to balance the M1 DAC to the power amplifier in order to achieve your M1 volume settings CLOSE to 0db. I am still experimenting with this but my volume listening range is in the -15 to -25db range depending on the source material.

I purchased the Hypex NCore Class D amps from James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC (James). He was very helpful answering my many questions.

http://jamesromeyn.com/#/home-audio-gear/hypex-ncore-nc400-build-service-on-time-or-free-build/

This is my first class D power amplifier and, based on my results, sounds terrific. Of course, everyone has a different opinion on this subject. You never know “how it really sounds”, until you listen in your room and system.

In summary, I am thrilled with how good my system sounds. I am hearing details, imaging and bass that I have not heard before.  I highly recommend the Hypex NCore 400 bridged mono block power amplifiers.  In addition, the elimination of the pre-amplifier, in my system, greatly improves the overall sound quality (for me).
Hgeifman,
Congratulations on your successful system implementation. You did it the right way via listening  to both approaches. Using your ears and then deciding, the only way to know what suits you best.