How important is bass to you?

It is to me. If it is recorded - it should be reproduced in a correct manner. Bass provides the foundation. No matter how well system might sound in other elements, if it doesn't play bass the right way, except the lowest bass, I would want to upgrade.
inna
agree...I used to love the midrange and was many years listenning to single full range drivers/no crossover designs, but one day I just had to have the full spectrum sound....especially for the music i did enjoy the most like big orchestra, opera.
I used to love my Tonian Labs TL-D1s until I listened to my Clearwave Duet 6 monitors and the impact, tone, tightness and quality simply amazed me. I'm still missing that last 1/2 octave or so but in my medium sized room the reinforcement I get is spot on.

I guess that means it's important, now.

All the best,
Nonoise
Inna,
I think most responders will agree with your preference. Bass is important as are all the frequency ranges. We want them "all" to be good. Given the context of the question,I place more importance on midrange than I do the bass region. If your question is meant as a hypothetical pick or choose compromise, I'd choose good bass with great midrange rather than great bass with good midrange. I may be in the minority.