Best SACD: Modwright OPPO vs Esoteric X03 series?

There seem to be about 5 of each available on Audiogon right now for about $3k +/- $300. I can maybe stretch my budget and lay my hands on cash in few days. In the mean time, I need to decide which type is likely to sound better. I am running a hodge-podge system made from a few 'over achievers' and a lot of attention to detail. Amps are 600w D-Sonic and the preamp is a W4S STP buffered passive. Speakers are 6.1 Genesis and most of my cabling is from Kaplan or his new Waevform Fidelity. I have no chance to audition either model as the Milwaukee area is kind of an audiophile dessert, and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has.
mcbuddah
I have the Modwright/Oppo 105 unit and it is by far the best sounding digital that I have heard. I know the Esoteric stuff is built like a tank but not sure on its sound quality.I opted to change out the tubes in the Mdwright/Oppo to NOS RCA 6sn7's and a large/tall NOS RCA for the outborad power supply, another big improvement in sound. This combo is pricey but the reward is great fidelity.
Go with the OPPO, not only will you save a bunch of money, the sound will be much warmer and more analogue like, easy to listen to for long periods at higher volumes. Yes the Esoteric is built like a battleship, the OPPO is a very dependable machine as well. Regards,

Matt
I cannot answer your question directly as I have no experience with the Oppo.

Purchased a used X03SE off the gon from a cat moving up to the K01. One of the best used purchases I have ever made. I use two turntables, reel to reel, cassette, and Alesis masterlink. The Esoteric is a superb unit and I will state that it is very analog like with warmth and detail. I use tubes and prefer older darker tubes so have some background for a warm presentation which I personally prefer.

Worried about the upgrade from a Sony 777 moving to the esoteric as I have never heard one prior to purchase. One of the best gambles I ever made. In fact, a buddy borrowed it and after a few days ended up buying a K03 from a dentist moving up to the K01. I would love to throw in a K01 but honestly the X03SE is a sheer delight and built to a quality standard that guarantees pride of ownership.

Have Fun!
Thanks! for sharing -steelhead. I, too, am interested in the Esoteric X-03 or X-03SE spinner. I did demo the DV-50/60 series and really liked its SACD playback only.

As you move up the esoteric chain- keep me posted.
Happy Listening!