Otari or Technics Reel-to-Reel ?

Hi.
I am thinking about getting one of those in the future. I am sure I would want Studer but they are too expensive for me. I want the deck to be able to record on 7.5 and 15 and to play on 3.75, 7.5 and 15, both half-track and quater-track tapes.
I would be recording from vinyl making compilations and listening to studio recordings whenever I could get them.
I would be prepared to pay to have it properly cleaned aligned and calibrated.
I actually never delt with RTR, but in my heart I am a tape man not vinyl man.
What would your recommendations and advice be? I would appreciate any input based on knowledge and experience.
inna
No, I would just use "all in one" unit, this would not be a professional level project.
Otari it will be.
Thank you everyone.

I own an Otari MX5050, it's a 1/4 track professional machine that's extremely complex. I've never had any trouble out of it. I also own a Technics 2 track 1500, never had any trouble out of it either. Presently I listen to the 2 track because it sounds better, that would go for either machine, 2 track sounds better than 1/4 track, and 15 IPS is overkill for CD's and records.

My question to you is "where are you going to get the blank tape, and where are you going to get the pre-recorded tape"? Since I've never bought any pre recorded, I can't answer any questions in regard to machine compatibility.

I suggest you forget about the reels until the tape questions are answered. Good luck on both.
There are lots of sources for blank tape. I use RMGI, bought a couple cases of it when I got my deck and have purchased more since. The better question is where to find a good deal on blank tape. It is not cheap.

As for pre-recorded, again sources exist, depends on what you are looking for and what you want to pay. 7 1/2 ips is more accessible and more titles. In the OPs case though I do not think pre-recorded tapes were what he was looking for. More so to do home recording.
You can find a lot of blank tape on ebay. Seems to me ATR is very much in production- a lot of studios are still using analog tape, enough to keep tape manufacturers alive.
Orpheus10, you may be right about 15ips for records. I will listen, if I hear no difference I'll use 7.5ips. Depends also on the source. My Nottingham Spacedeck/Spacearm is good but far from top of the line, the same with phono stage.
Yes, I would be interested in finding pre-recorded tapes but also finding the recordings that were never released. You see a lot of this on youtube. There are recordings of great performances, someone has the master tapes and copies. Difficult to find, you need to be a member of audio clubs and have connections, but I think with time and patience it can be done. As for the cost, well, certain things are worth paying for. Besides, I am very selective in what I listen to. As an example, out of probably one hundred concerts of Mahavishnu Orchestra that I found on youtube I listen to two. The same with Miles Davis.
So it would be an interesting project.