Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

The Leon Thomas version was good. A lot slower tempo than either Dee Dee or Silver. His 'scatting' sounded as if he was trying to scat while being smothered with a pillow.

But it was a nice take on the song. I wish he had dressed for the occasion.

I have several CDs by Dee Dee. The Tribute to Silver is her best work. IMO. Not a weak track on the disc. However, when she scats, it sounds just a little bit strained or forced. With Ella, it was as if the song was written that way. So effortless.

I think it's very hard to be a great Jazz Diva. We have / had, so few.

Cheers
O-10:

'Take Five' by Tito Puente. WOW!! Dave who???? I like this better than the Brubeck version. A really tight Latin Jazz band is just hard to beat.

The percussion was awesome. I have said before that I think the drum solo on Brubeck's 'Take Five' is one of the few drum solos in Jazz that does not distract or interupt the flow of the music.

Well, Tito has surpassed that. Paul Desmond and Joe Morrello can now move aside. This tune has been taken away from them.

For some reason after hearing this, I think the Brubeck tune should have been Latin. Or maybe it was.

Great clip.

Cheers

As much as I liked this by Dave and Joe Morrello, Tito took ten and left them in the dust; that rhythm is ripping like nothing I've heard before.

Enjoy the music.
The challenge for singers when they scat is that, no matter what, they will be judged according to the standard set by the great instrumentalists; those are VERY big shoes to fill. Only a handful of singers, Ella being at the top of the heap, even approach the fluency of good instrumental improvisers in the harmonic language of jazz. They usually simply gloss over the complexity of the harmonic changes of a tune. Among instrumentalists speaking about other instrumentalists, that limited command of the harmony is usually referred to as "bullshitting". A smart singer keeps scatting to a minimum.

Re "Take Five":

Tito's version is great; very exciting. Like Rok says "a really right Latin Jazz band is hard to beat". Thanks for the link. But, and not meaning to, in the least, take away from the enthusiasm that my esteemed fellow aficionados have for this cover of this classic tune, for me there is no way Tito's version can supplant the original as the definitive version. Most importantly, they are almost not even the same tune. The melody is the same; almost. What makes Desmond's (he wrote it) "Take Five" unique and ground breaking, particularly for the era when it was written, is that it was written in odd-meter; in five, of course. I don't kow if anyone noticed, but Tito's version is IN FOUR !!!! It should more correctly be titled "Take Four". Still, a great and exciting cover.
I told The Frogman some time ago, that he knew too much. This proves it. While The O-10 and I were jamming to Tito, in blissful ignorance, The Frogman was keeping time.

Of course he is correct. But, no one is suggesting Tito's version supplant Brubeck. The original will always be just that, The First!

But it is possible for susequent artist to do any tune 'better'. Happens every day. Better recording techniques, better instrumentation, better arrangements, better players etc...

I think Tito is better not because of any time uniqueness, but because of the Latin flavor and the percussion. It was faster! It made me wanna move!

Brubeck never made me move. It was a Nice tune, melody, a great drum solo and Desmond's tone. I know the TIME thingy, but that's not why I like it. I suspect, only the pros and his peers, realized the significance of the TIME thing.

And last but not least, I could SEE Tito and his guys playing. On a CD, I might not have been as impressed. But both versions are great. I own LPs and two CDs of 'Take Five' by Brubeck, none by Tito.

Brubeck did a lot of experiments with time. Some more successful than others. 'Take Five' was popular because of the melody and the unique sax(tone) and drum playing.

So can we say, I like Tito's "take Four', better than Brubeck's 'Take Five'. Sort of like preferring Mongo Santa Maria's 'cloud Nine' to any other.

Brubeck's version is on the local PBS FM station's playlist. When it comes on, the wife cranks the volume all the way up. The only Jazz tune she likes. :)

I wonder what Tito could do with 'Blue Rondo A La Turk' I bet that would be something!

Thanks for your informed input Frogman. You are a vital asset to this thread.

Cheers