Any thoughts on passive v. active speakers?

I'm thinking about ditching my amps and cables and just buying an active speaker with a balanced input. I have a Krell 2250 and a pair of 140 watt Atma-sphere MA-1MKII. I desperately need speakers and cables, but not sure if I want to go through the bother (and expense) of finding the perfect matching set.

Should I go with a speaker & amp that are already matched or keep building my system like a bespoke smorgasbord?
rogerstillman
Roger, another point to keep in mind when connecting speakers in series is to be sure to connect the + (usually red) and - (usually black) terminals of the amp and speakers correctly. The proper way for a series connection of two speakers is as follows:

Amplifier (+) to Speaker 1 (+)

Speaker 1 (-) to Speaker 2 (+)

Speaker 2 (-) to Amplifier (-)

It doesn't matter which speaker is connected as speaker 1 and as speaker 2.

If you don't do that correctly it won't damage anything. But the sound will definitely suffer, assuming the two pairs of speakers are in the same room, or at least if both speakers can be heard at the same time.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al
Post removed 
I too am interested in following the Kii speaker and would like to hear them. They are a fully active speaker with six drivers; six nCore amps; full DSP control and controlled dispersion that improves on time-delayed reflections. They are also said to go quite deep for a monitor sized speaker.

Any of you who go to RMAF, be sure to check out the Kii being launched by GTT Audio & Video in Room 537, and please report back. In the meantime, here is some more information.
DAR blog with Srajan Ebaen
Bob, interesting point about the crossovers. Can you explain the difference between Active & Passive crossovers and the benefits & drawbacks of both?
Post removed