Any thoughts on passive v. active speakers?

I'm thinking about ditching my amps and cables and just buying an active speaker with a balanced input. I have a Krell 2250 and a pair of 140 watt Atma-sphere MA-1MKII. I desperately need speakers and cables, but not sure if I want to go through the bother (and expense) of finding the perfect matching set.

Should I go with a speaker & amp that are already matched or keep building my system like a bespoke smorgasbord?
rogerstillman
If your taste is refined enough for you to own the Atma-Sphere amps, are you sure there even IS a powered speaker you would be happy with?
Elvick, the Atma-spheres are really great and very musical.

The Krells are very good, but solid state just can beat a tube for sweetness and musicality - IMHO.

I agree with Mikelavigne on the benefits of staying with individual components, but I wanted to hear what people with more experience than me thought.

I was told the Atma-spheres run best at 16 Ohms.

I'm using a Cary SPL-05 to drive the Atama-spheres.

I'm using a Krell 280p & Krell 2250 on my second (incomplete) system.

The speakers & cables I have now aren't even worth discussing - that's why I didn't mention them.

I bought the Krells & the Cary on Audiogon at good prices.

Thanks for everyone's comments - keep them coming!
I have a small pair of swans (w/seas drivers) bookshelves hooked up to my Krell. I'm going to move those to a third system: CJ-PV12 driving an NAD C272.

Next I'm going to throw my Braun L200s onto of my ADS810s and run them in parallel to get to 16 Ohms.

Then I'm going to move my James S82 Loudspeakers to my Krell system.

That's the best I can do with what I have now - go ahead, have a good laugh!

Then, I'm gonna continue MY QUEST...
Actually, I only get to 12 Ohms with the ADS & the Braun, but its a step in the right direction...