Stand out phono stages

This topic has been started before by others and myself as well, maybe too many times, but it is worth revisiting since the source is so very important!
So far I have had the pleasure to enjoy two worthy phono stages: the EAR 834p and the JLTI.
I have to admit they are spectacular. Obviously the record and all the equipment downstream play a role in the sound heard. In some cases I prefer the JLTI and in other cases the EAR. But neither out do the other dramatically.
What phono preamps outshine others by a big margin, those that can be considered the last phono preamp ever needed.
pedrillo
Jwilsco---A more complete and detailed explanation is that sources other than a record player (turntable/tonearm/cartridge) have an output voltage of 1 to two volts, commonly. The non-phono inputs on a pre-amp/integrated amp/receiver provide about 15 to 20 dB of gain (to amplify that output from non-phono sources), to drive the power amp (or amp section of an integrated or receiver) to full output.

The output voltage from a phono cartridge is far lower than from other sources, ranging from 0.02 mV (from the lowest-output moving-coil cartridges) to about 5mV (from the highest-output moving-magnet and moving-coil types). To amplify that smaller signal to the same level as other inputs, the pre-amp must provide far higher gain (40 to 60dB, or even more). All of that gain requires the phono amplification be of very low noise, as any present will be amplified along with the signal. It's a demanding job!

In addition, the RIAA Tbg mentioned is part of the phono system (too technical to go into here), and is also accomplished in the phono amp. Phono stages used to be included in all pre-amps, but many pre-amps today are for non-phono sources only (that kind of pre-amp is called a line-stage), and stand-alone phono amps are common. Whether stand-alone or included in a full function pre-amp, integrated amp, or receiver, the phono amp/section does the same job. It's just a matter of getting a phono amp/stage that has the appropriate gain for your phono cartridge's requirements.
Oops---it should read "(from the highest-output moving-magnet and moving-iron types)", not moving-coil.
I will add Modwright Reference PH-150 to the discussion, I have owned several hi end phono's and this one is among the best.
I recently went from a BAT VK-P10 to an AMR (Abbington Music Research) PH-77 and have never experienced such a profound change going from one component to another.

I loved my P10 and still think it is a really good PS, but the PH-77 added a lot of bass (tight, fast bass) to my system, and more weight and authority without reducing details or the beautiful high end my system always had.

Having a 300B SET based system, bass has always been a little lean, but the PH-77 really remedied that.