Re: Technics RS-M85 casette deck part needed

Hi,
My Technics RS-M85 casette deck have a broken glass door. Does anybody know where I can get the part? Any broken casette deck for parts?
kikoilem
I have a Technics RS-M65 deck, in the original box, on a shelf. The record function stopped working a few decades back. Most of the parts are interchangeable, the major difference between the two being the Quartz lock speed control of the M85. You've found a donor deck.
As long as the broken glass door doesn't affect performance I wouldn't worry about it. If you decide to upgrade the deck, look for a Tandberg TCD-3014 - These are among the finest cassette decks ever made.

My 2nd choice would be a Bang & Olufsen Beocord 9000 - these are *phenomenal* cassette decks. B&O worked with Dolby Labs to produce Dolby HX-Pro which is an encode-only system that imparts incredible sound quality to cassettes. Tapes produced with this can be played back on any Dolby-B capable deck (virtually ALL cassette decks) and you will get the benefit of the HX-Pro encoding.

If you really want a top quality cassette deck, look for either the Tandberg or the B&O that I mentioned. They are head and shoulders better than anything else out there.

A good 2nd choice would be the Harman/Kardon Dolby Hx-Pro decks from the early 80s - not as good as the Tandbergs or B&Os, but damn close and a whole lot cheaper...
Rodman99999, I am happy to finally find a donor casette deck. Please contact me via email, kyx56 at yahoo. Let me know how much for the glass door. Thank you.