Diminishing hearing ability?

I believe my biggest challenge in pursuing a great listening experience is my diminishing hearing ability. I have assembled a $50k system through Audiogon (for about $30k) that should knock my socks off. Once and a while it does but most of the time is less enjoyable than my first "higher end" $5k system 30 years ago.

Just had to remark because it's rather frustrating at times. Not that my hearing is that bad, it's just not what it had once been.

I suppose we're all challenged by this to varying degrees. Hmmm, anyone ever have an "ear tune-up" (short of a hearing aid)? May be the best tweak of all!!!

rbschauman
Another suggestion, assuming your dissatisfaction is mental and not physical, is system change up. Do you have more than one system? Do you have components to swap around? Can you try different speaker placements?

For instance I just set up a near field speaker arrangement (temporary) with speakers from my bedroom system. It's a different listening experience and I'm really enjoying the change.
Your attitude is also important. Some people think "Well, I've spent a ton on this system so it should MAKE me like it even if I'm not in the mood."! Compare this to sitting for an audition of an expensive component. I'll bet there is nothing "laid back" going on here. You are totally focused on every micro-nuance coming from the speakers -almost like your life depends on it.

If I were becoming indifferent, I'd not listen for a month then schedule a listening day. I'd invite a nice bottle of wine to join me then let it rip.
Rhljazz and Dweller,

Though my hearing is diminishing a bit I hear you! Both of your responses are aimed at means to reinvigorate the experience - change up. And it is the good experience had that's more important than having that ability to so perfectly discern! Perspective check - thanks!
Anyone can remove their earwax by instilling Debrox drops or a generic into each ear for several days and then irrigating with a bulb syringe full of lukewarm water. This is an easier process if done every 10-12 weeks, before there is a wax impaction. You can always have clear ear canals--there is no need to go in for this if your ear canals and tympanic membranes are otherwise normal.