How much am I missing with SL1200 mk2?

Hi everybody,

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day Weekend.

My system is:

Anthem 225i (using phono pre in rec)
Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player
Usher CP 6311 speakers
Clean SL mk2 with AT cartridge 120e

How much am I missing with my SL opposed to a $1000-$1500 including cartridge more modern setup like Rega RP3, entry Clearaudio, VPI, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the current setup but have been told I am giving up a lot with the SL.

Your opinions are appreciated, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
uncledemp
I think you would get a lot more out of your TT if you upgraded the cartridge to a Denon 103. It's a very good match to the Technics arm and it's not too expensive.
Why not spend some bucks on a new cartridge then you can always take it with you when you get a new table later down the road.
Chayro,

I've heard good things about the Denon. However, my built in phono stage is suited best for MM or high output- ruling the 103 out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

When I upgraded from NOS Shure I noticed a pretty big difference, so I'm not opposed to changing cartridges. I prefer a lively sound, so my current AT cartridge is a good match, for me anyway.

I've considered the KAB Ortofons that basically set themselves up. Anyone here tried any of those cartridges? They appear to be a Concord body with an audiophile stylus.

I'm jealous of you that have shops that are willing to loan gear, etc. I'm surprised it's not the case in my hood. Maybe someday!

Thanks again for the insight/ advice.

Gary
"I've heard good things about the Denon. However, my built in phono stage is suited best for MM or high output- ruling the 103 out. Correct me if I'm wrong."

Yes. Unless you can bypass the internal phono stage, you'll need to use a MM or a HOMC.

"I'm jealous of you that have shops that are willing to loan gear, etc. I'm surprised it's not the case in my hood. Maybe someday!"

If you live in the US, you can always use The Cable Company. They will send you demo units of anything they carry before you commit to a purchase.
If you insist on a high-output cartridge, try a Goldring Eroica High-Output. You're cartridge is fine if you just want to hear some sound, but if you want to get more out of your system, you're going to have to spring for something much better. But not so much that the arm can't take advantage of it. I think the Goldring would work well. They're good carts.