How much am I missing with SL1200 mk2?

Hi everybody,

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day Weekend.

My system is:

Anthem 225i (using phono pre in rec)
Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player
Usher CP 6311 speakers
Clean SL mk2 with AT cartridge 120e

How much am I missing with my SL opposed to a $1000-$1500 including cartridge more modern setup like Rega RP3, entry Clearaudio, VPI, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the current setup but have been told I am giving up a lot with the SL.

Your opinions are appreciated, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
uncledemp
Everyone's going to give you a completely different answer. And the motivation's behind the answers will be different, especially since your current TT is pro gear. If you want the right answer, borrow a TT to try in your system or bring your TT to a store where you can try it next to something else.
Zd542 is dead on.

This is a very solid table not prone to delicacy splashing lots of audiophile terminology about. It is a solid performer with an AT cart. What you are 'missing' is lots of air around the instruments, imaging and a black background. it should have great impact. I know, I've sold the table.

It is a direct-drive table with inherent problems of that design. I know, I owned a very high-end Denon table with a Denon 103 moving coil cart. But perhaps these are not goals and that is okay too. It is a bit of a blunt instrument. But if that is your sound, it is far from a criticism.
Thanks guys, I guess the only way to know is to try it out. The closest brick and mortar dealer is probably 200-300 miles. It may be worth a shot to demo one via an Internet dealer if agree to pay frt, etc.

I was curious what others had to say to see if it motivated me to take the next step.

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback

Garth
I had a SLmk5 but I don't think there is any real difference. I also had a Luxman PD131 with Grace 707 Tonearm. These turntables cost the same but the Luxman was more detailed. I used a Ortofon 2M black on both. I changed the tonearm on the Technics to a Jelco 750D, but the Luxman was still clearly more musical and detailed.

I have sold both and now have a Denon DP6000 and a DP80.

You can get very nice TOTL vintage turntables with a cartridge well within your budget that will easily best the Technics.
I also agree with Zd542, but with that said I do truly believe your SL1200 mk 2 is a better TT then you or others might give it credit for. There are a number of inexpensive tweaks you can perform on it if you wanted to.
If you have not done so, check out the KAB website: http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/accesss.htm
On the other hand, if you have the desire to purchase something new or different have at it, but I'm not certain there will be improvement within the price range you mention.